Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgeb51

Anyone have info on these cylinder lamps?

GeorgeB51
12 years ago

There are three lamps, total. Two with ships were on the fireplace mantel. The other was mounted on the stairway bannister. Any information would be appreciated. I have searched: cylinder lamp and mantel lamp.

Comments (11)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I don't know anything about them but they are beautiful! Do you have any idea how old they are-belonged to relative? No marks on bottom? I take it they are painted on the inside of the glass. I looked in couple of books & don't see anything like yours. Hope someone knows what they are called! Do you see a signature somewhere on the glass?

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Those are gorgeous. Probably limited to 60 watts or less due to little provision for ventilation. There should have been a sticker or plate stating the maximum wattage allowed. The maker's name would have been on this label.

If the base is cast metal, it should have more value than one made of molded plastic. Molded plastic bases are less expensive to make and suited for mass production.

• GeorgeB51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No markings anywhere. Bases are cast metal. Tops on ship pieces are cast. Top on the parrot piece is stamped brass. The ships are painted on the OUTSIDE of what appears to be Milk Glass cylinders. I believe they were pulled from an old house before demolition. My guess is their age is somewhere around 1900.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Is that an oil font I see on the bird lamp?
    I have seen lamps like that in old houses....actually one of the houses I am thinking of was older than 1900. But I don't know anything more about them that that.
    Linda C

• GeorgeB51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oil font? - Oh, No that is an electrical switch and I think it was added later in it's life.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Those are fantastic! I hope someone knows something about them or can find information about them. I will go on a search!

What treasures!

• Fori
    12 years ago

I think this miscellany store has something like one of the shades:

They peg them at 1930s to 40s, but I think you have more to go on since you have the entire fixtures. The polychrome paint on the ship lamps sort of dates them to a certain period doesn't it?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.smsnoveltiques.com/lighting.asp

• GeorgeB51
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for these lamps. Thank you for your interest and insights. I just came across the following link with a pair of the Parrot lamps for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heart of Ohio Antuque Center

• Chloe1254
    12 years ago

How nice that they're not only very beautiful, but quite valuable as well!

• bibasheidi
    8 years ago

Are you interested in selling the ship lamps?

• vicky 424
    7 years ago

Hello, I have a single Parrot lamp like yours but the link you reference above doesn't have the lamp shown. Can you tell me what it was valued at when you checked in 2011?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH