Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelefl_gw

Identification help?

MicheleFL
10 years ago

I have located a lot of items of my Grandparents. Can someone help me identify this one, or give me some direction? Also, any advice on where to go for an HONEST appraisal for insurance purposes? Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (5)

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

I know very little about glassware, but I note this one has a glass stopper. To aid the experts, some more information would be helpful. Can you supply:?

1, Size

2. Any nomenclature on the bottom of the bottle.

3. Does the stopper have a frosted appearance on the stopper surface?

The glass container appears to be an ordinary molded glass container.

I recall seeing bottles like this one among toiletry selections on M'lady's dresser in the 1940s. It may have held a splash-on cologne or a skin moisturizer. These bottles were about 6 inches tall or less.

The problem with glass stoppers is that unless treated with a sealer, the alcohol content will evaporate over the course of a few months. A thin film of vaseline on a frosted stopper helped. The second problem is these stoppers can jam in the bottle neck. The third problem is that if the stopper is shoved in too hard, it can burst the bottle neck. A good bottle will have a substantial rim to resist these forces.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Please give a size reference on articles like this. We can't tell from a picture if this is small or quite large. Decanters like this were quite popular in the sixties and seventies as well and were quite common. I suspect some of them held wine or condiments at one time and may have been a premium or bonus and sold that way in the hopes the product would be purchased for the bottle. I know my mother had numerous ones too good to throw away, but not good enough to use for serving. She used her crystal for that.

• MicheleFL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all your feedback.

The container (wine flask?) is 8" tall and the stopper is 3" tall. Both are clear glass (maybe lead crystal - they are on the heavy side?). On the bottom is a star, similar to the one on top - see attached. There are no identifying marks (at least to me).

• ingeorgia
    10 years ago

this looks to be a vintage pressed glass cruet. Do a google search and images will be pulled up, there are several like yours there.
    Not worth a lot of money but very collectible.

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

Good call ingeorgia. I inherited one from my great grandmother but mine is an unusual type of colored ceramic. When she would brush her hair she would place any hair from the brush in the cruet.