Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennee30

Staffordshire Dogs How old do you think they are

Jennee30
11 years ago

These are my mother's antique Stafford-shire dogs and they were her mother's I have been looking online at these kind of dogs but they don't have the chains like some of them do around there necks and the colors of them. One antique person at one point said they were made in the late 1800's just wondering if this could be true or not. There are no markings on the bottom just a small hole. He kept asking her if she had the pair to go with it and said they were worth 200.00 just curious what they are worth.... Thanks in advance :)

Comments (14)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Staffordshire dogs were painted in many ways....chains or lack of chains has nothing to do with the age.
    What does the bottom look like? Are they marked? Is there a hole in the dog? Where? How big?

I have about 8....I like them a lot!!!!

• Jennee30
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I cant see any markings on them at all but i attached a photo of the bottoms of the dogs

• lindac
    11 years ago

Well....they weren't made yesterday!
    that bottom is not typical of the old 1860 to 1900 dogs....usually the bottom is flat...or nearly so, with a small air hole either in the bottom or the back....but everything is not always "typical".
    Also they DO have a chain around their necks....but the painting on them is very atypical. I have never seen that red nor the black around the bottom....nor Staffordshire dogs where the paint appears to be chipping. The paint is always under the glaze.
    Any chance that paint was added? have you given them a good washing....with soap and water? Any chance that under the red and black you have dogs like are in the link below?
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Jennee30
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i asked my mom and she said they have always looked like that ever since she can remember even as a child, the next time i go for a visit I will take another look at them and give you and update which should be around the end of this month :)

• Jennee30
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did go back down and the gold did come off but the pink and black did not come off it is glazed just like the white...i was also talking to my uncle and he said that his mother told him when he was a child that her mother got it at a carnival and so they were owned by not only my mom's mother but her mother's mother.

• nyboy
    11 years ago

The dogs are Cavalier King Charles, a favorite breed of the english royalty. The breed has 4 diffrent colors,The Tri color is white with black and tan marking.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I don't think they're Staffordshire but a lesser copy made for the general public. Real Stafforshire has a lovely glaze and finish. In my area rea Staffordshire has lost value in the past ten years it seems. I've seen them at auction go for 75.00 for a superior pair.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

Probably not a lot....but a picture would help asses.

• Deb Herbert
    7 years ago

I'm so sorry Jennee 30 I didn't even realize this was your post -- I apologise

• HU-400080841
    2 years ago

Real I sold a set your small hole on base Large holes are made by slip casting I sold a pair recently the paint work brush strokes you can tell by

• HU-400080841
    2 years ago

Becareful people will tell you there fake hoping to buy them alot of older work generally has no makers mark and the glazing is a give away is there a all firing hole in the back

• lindac92
    2 years ago

The REALLY old staffordshire dogs were cast in 2 parts, and if you look closely you can see where they were "glued" together with slip before firing.

The thing is, Those dogs have been made for about 180 years at least.....and there isn't a cut off of old....vs a repro. There is very old, quite old, old, pretty old, not so old, recent and brand new.

• fromemma
    last year
    last modified: last year

old unusual and valuable with provenance very special