Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valmont325

Is this an Antique Doll steamer trunk?

valmont325
11 years ago

I came across this sitting outside the recycle bin at my local transfer station so i said, why not. It is not large in size, but big enough for a doll and or doll clothes. I noticed brackets on the inside on the left hand side...maybe shelves went there? or drawers? Any info you can give me would be awesome. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Yes!!!...I bought one and stripped it....took the paper out and lined it in fabric for my daughter for her Barbies....about 43 years ago.
    I removed the major portion of the value.....the inside of yours is in wonderful shape!!! Don't mess it up!

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its not in GREAT shape, the Faux outside is worn and the inside is peeling in some spots. So what are the brackets for inside?

• lindac
    11 years ago

It's worn.....but don't mess with it!
    HOWEVER....it's yours......and while I bought the one I had for maybe $2.50....stripped all the paper off, stained and varnished and glued fabric on the inside....and filled with barbie clothes and gave it to my daughter.....who loved it and used it.....and stored her Barbies in it....and then gave it to her daughter who also stored her Barbies in it...
    Well where else could I have found something that would have served so well for so long for the $100 that a trunk like that may be worth?

The brackets are for ( I think) little drawers that fit inside.

It's a good thing....save a piece of the past...or convert it to something you will use....the choice is yours.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do love preserving the past. I work at an Old Fashion General Store. Im the manager. And i recently started finding and buying vintage items for the store since we sell old & new items. I do not know if this piece has any value, i would hate to keep something that i wont use properly. Either way i had to save it from the junk yard. Also, judging by my photos what year would you say this is?

• lindac
    11 years ago

I think they are early 20th century....like pre 1920.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fantastic! I might pat it down with a damp cloth, try and wash some grime away but ill keep it as is. Who knows maybe there is a market for this stuff. Thanks so much!

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

just saw this one on ebay. First one to show up when i searched. Um, pretty similar wouldn't ya say?

• lindac
    11 years ago

Amazing that it's lined with the same paper!

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and they are asking over $125! May have to do some more digging. Odd that someone would just toss this away.