Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
antique bed warmer

Posted by Chell1119 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 20:41

I bought this bed warmer at an estate sale and I was trying to find out if it was an antique or not. How would I tell? There is no markings other than the peacock on it anywhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: antique bed warmer

More pictures......
There were a lot of repros of those made during the "early American" craze, and often a chestnut roaster is called a bed warmer.
To know if it's old we need to see how it was made, how the wood was turned, if the inside shows any evidence of having had hot coals in it....and generally evidence of use.
How big is it? Could it be a silent butler?

Scrolled back to your pic....and your hand....think it's a silent butler.
Linda C

o

I looked up silent butler and it has a shorter handle however, this ones handle is not as long as some I have seen. I am uploading some pictures for you to see.

o

Inside

o

Just an idea of how long the handle is :)

o

Let me know if you would like more pics and what angle. Btw thank you for all your help :)

o

LOL! Much bigger than I thought!!
It's a repro. The dead give away is that little loop handle to open the lid.
It's a decorative thing from the late 50's or early 60's...you stood it by your fireplace with your Ethan Allen dry sink and cobblers bench and repro blue transferware pitcher....and perhaps used it to dump the ash trays into when you had a party and every one was smoking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique bed warmers

o

Thank you so much for all your help. I didnt pay but like $10 for it at this estate sale but they were selling everything dirt cheap. I even looked somethings up on the internet when I got home and so wished that I had NOT walked out with out spending a few extra dollars LOL. I wasnt looking at it to sell or anything I have just always wanted one LOL. I will check out the site that you posted and maybe if I run across another one I can know for sure LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here