Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chell1119

antique bed warmer

Chell1119
11 years ago

I bought this bed warmer at an estate sale and I was trying to find out if it was an antique or not. How would I tell? There is no markings other than the peacock on it anywhere.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    11 years ago

More pictures......
    There were a lot of repros of those made during the "early American" craze, and often a chestnut roaster is called a bed warmer.
    To know if it's old we need to see how it was made, how the wood was turned, if the inside shows any evidence of having had hot coals in it....and generally evidence of use.
    How big is it? Could it be a silent butler?

Scrolled back to your pic....and your hand....think it's a silent butler.
    Linda C

• Chell1119
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked up silent butler and it has a shorter handle however, this ones handle is not as long as some I have seen. I am uploading some pictures for you to see.

• Chell1119
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Inside

• Chell1119
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just an idea of how long the handle is :)

• Chell1119
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let me know if you would like more pics and what angle. Btw thank you for all your help :)

• lindac
    11 years ago

LOL! Much bigger than I thought!!
    It's a repro. The dead give away is that little loop handle to open the lid.
    It's a decorative thing from the late 50's or early 60's...you stood it by your fireplace with your Ethan Allen dry sink and cobblers bench and repro blue transferware pitcher....and perhaps used it to dump the ash trays into when you had a party and every one was smoking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique bed warmers

• Chell1119
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for all your help. I didnt pay but like $10 for it at this estate sale but they were selling everything dirt cheap. I even looked somethings up on the internet when I got home and so wished that I had NOT walked out with out spending a few extra dollars LOL. I wasnt looking at it to sell or anything I have just always wanted one LOL. I will check out the site that you posted and maybe if I run across another one I can know for sure LOL.