Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Iron Out" on yellowish tablecloth?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 20:24

I bought a crocheted tablecloth with a yellow cast. It's not ecru or beige: that I'd like. It has an odd look: though the color is consistent when you look at the piece as a whole, close up, you see some fibers are whiter than others.

There are no stains or damage. I don't think it is very old, though it seems to be cotton and not a synthetic.

The proprietor of the antique mall, who saw that I hesitated to buy it due to the yellow color, suggested I try "Iron out." He said it was safer than bleach. But I don't know if the color IS due to iron in the water or not. Is there a way to tell?

Has anyone tried this product?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Iron Out" on yellowish tablecloth?

I crochet- you say you like beige, go that way, it's safe. Take several regular tea bags & bring water to boil & put the tea bags in then after tea is really strong take bags out, let it cool off & fill washing machine with cool water, add tea & mix well you could just use 1/2 the tea & soak the tablecloth in it for awhile, if you like the color then finish washing it & add 1 cup white vinegar to the rinse cycle to set the color in better. If it needs more color add more tea water. That would give you a beige color without maybe getting a hole in it from harsh product. Best to lay it out flat to dry or gentle cycle if you prefer. Have couple of old light color towels in the dryer as easier on the tablecloth & won't get so hot.

o

Thank you! Yes, I have hesitations about using this product. If the maker just used a yellow tone thread because she wanted to, then it would be useless.

My mother used to tea dye my grandmother’s crochet for her, but I was a child when I saw her do it, and didn’t know the details. I didn’t know about the vinegar, for example. Thank you for your excellent description of how to do it.

o

Put it in the bathtub, and try soaking it in Biz or (my favorite) Orvus Equine Soap. A while back, there was a thread at "the Kitchen Table" on this very same topic.

o

I think it would be a shame to dye a tablecloth with tea unless you REALLy want it to be darker! Why don't you try restoring it to its original whiteness first, using a very gentle product like Mama's Miracle Linen Soak. I've rarely seen any discoloration that this product didn't remove, and it doesn't harm the cloth in any way. You can always tea-dye the tablecloth later if you still don't like the way it looks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mama's Miracle Linen Soak

o

One day when the sun was falling on it just right, I saw why some threads looked whiter: there is a white powder on them. Starch! I flipped it over, and the other side is solid colored pale yellow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here