Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metxlady

Identity of china cabinet 1960's Broyhill?

MeTxLady
12 years ago

This was my Grannys. My mom thinks she purchased it in the 60's. I am wanting to know more about it and what I can sell it for. It has veneer over the wood and some of it is peeling off. It is all one piece. The only identifying marks are on the back. One says "Broyhill #8040-67" and is hand written. The other looks like a stamp and says "8040 67 834C4".

Comments (4)

• karinl
    12 years ago

Well I'll be the bad news bear and say that it is probably worth hardly anything. The fact that it is solid wood doesn't get you much because there is a ton of that stuff still around and in good to excellent condition, and a lot of it, to be blunt, is butt-ugly. If it is kind of funky-looking (vintage, retro, shabby chic), that might buy you a coffee :-) You haven't posted a photo so I can't be more specific.

Its condition doesn't sound that great - if it is an easy fix to glue down the veneer, and if that's all that's wrong with it, do it before selling it, as that may be all it takes to make it something that should be given away.

The other variable is size\configuration. These typically came in 6 or 9 drawer long form about 30 inches tall, or highboy form that was generally about 32 inches wide and up to 48 tall. If yours differs markedly from those dimensions in a practical way again you may be able to ask a little more than the average vintage veneered solid wood dresser that you find on your local craigslist.

Check there and see how long some similar items are listed before they sell. See what people are asking, and whether the listings disappear. Here, if you ask about $60 you'd probably get some responses, and get talked down to 40. The faster you want to sell, the less you should ask.

KarinL

• Fori
    12 years ago

If it's from this line by Broyhill, you might be able to do okay selling--these are pretty popular. Otherwise, I'm afraid Karin is probably correct. (I've been shopping for an old china cabinet lately and am a little too familiar with the price ranges.)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.brasiliaconnection.com/

• MeTxLady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your replies, however, this is a china cabinet not a dresser. I didn't know how to post photos but have since learned. I have more but as of this moment I only have access to these four. I did post the china cabinet of Craigslist and had 2 interests within an hour. I asked $100 and one man said he definitely wanted it and it was a great price. However, when my husband found out what I listed if for he asked me to pull it and start out asking $250 obo. The man who wanted to buy it said he top $ is $125 and i think that's good but have to keep peace in the marriage. Hope the photos help! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Snapfish - china cabinet

• karinl
    12 years ago

Sorry, I don't know how I read "dresser." Must be where my mind is - or what the Broyhill name is most often tied to around here. I've gone "gaaah" so many times after looking at a Broyhill listing on craigslist that I hardly ever even click on them any more.

It seems I can't see more than your first photo due to not having a Snapfish account, but it looks a bit french provincial? Much prettier than much of the furniture from that era. But all in one piece (hard to transport), and peeling veneer, might reduce its appeal. French provincial is a bit "in" around here just now, but bigger and higher priced pieces sit on craigslist for a while.

Your husband may be thinking of store prices, which are often about double what you'd expect on craigslist. That makes sense as you are wanting a buyer to view at your convenience in your location. Or he may be right, and it doesn't hurt to start high - unless you want to sell fast.

You can always tell the guy that your husband insists on trying 250 and you're very sorry, and assure him that if you get no higher offers it is his at 125. If he really wants it, he'll go higher if he can, but maybe he's willing to lose it if that's really his limit. That's the other reason prices are lower on craigslist - the salespeople are amateurs :-) and standard business practices, beyond basic fairness/good manners, can't be enforced. In fact, you can list something and then decide not to sell it at all. I've had sellers do that with me.

The response is certainly an indicator that your price could have been higher. Do a search on your local craigslist for china cabinets and see what is being asked, and again, if you really want to finesse the price, watch for a while and see what moves fast and what doesn't. You can do this by bookmarking ads that you want to watch. If you click on your bookmarks a week or a month later, you can tell what ads have been deleted or eventually expired.

Again, sorry to have misread your OP.

KarinL