Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Can someone tell me what this is worth

Lyban zone 4
14 years ago

I know that is a hard thing to answer but about how much would you pay for this 1940 secretary on Craigslist.

{{gwi:1386642}}

Comments (13)

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Depends on your city. Here in LA, you'd be lucky to get $250, as it's just not a style that's in demand.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

I have one very similar to yours (1930's) that was appraised for $500-600.
    That said, on Craigslist, in my city, they're asking around $300-350 mostly, and if I were in the market, for a nice one, I'd pay it.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the prices.
    On my Craigslists in Canada they are asking 500. for that one.
    My daughter wants one but I just do not know if that is too high for her to pay and if she should wait for another one or grab it.

• texasredhead
    14 years ago

The wood appears to be mahogany with a vaneer on the curved drawers. The glass doors are a chip-and dale style. We have an almost identical piece in our dining room. We keep linens in the drawers and collectibles on the top shelves. From the apperance of the piece and its condition, $500 seems like a decent price.

Obviously, the name "secretary" indicates the pieces were used as writing desks and still can be for that matter. Don't be swayed by what something is worth in an unrelated area.

• lindac
    14 years ago

That Chippendale style desk has been very widely made and reproduced. Supposedly it was made as a copy of the desk that the first governor of Massachusetts had made by Thomas Chippendale the younger and is often called a Governor Winthrop desk.
    The "worth" of the desk is in the quality and Chippendale style desks were made in various "qualities"
    Go look at it...it the drawers are solid and the veneer all intact, $500 is certainly not too much to pay.
    Linda C

• brutuses
    14 years ago

In S. Louisiana they are going for $500+.

I saw one advertised in Houston for $200. I almost fainted when I saw that. I tried to get it but, by the time I was finished with shipping costs, it was no longer a super bargain.

I'd pay $500 in a heartbeat. We don't see many down here on Craigs. A lady had an old nasty painted one for $500. I wrote her and told her I'd give her $100 and she was insulted. LOL I don't know if she ever sold it or not. It wasn't worth more than $100 after someone gave it a very, very bad paint job.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Compare it with a new piece for a similar purpose ... what would it cost to get that much nice storage from IKEA or other furniture stores?

In other words, forget what it's "worth" (which varies wildly from region to region) and see what it costs to get the same function from another source.

Go check it out so you can evaluate the finish and the construction.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Darn, I was busy for a couple of days and now its gone.
    Oh well, maybe next time.

• kimb389
    14 years ago

In my experience, a piece like this would sell in the range of $450 - $600.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I bought one exactly like it about 5 years ago, and paid $300 I think. There is no veneer on it.

I have it in my bedroom as secretary, with a nightlight on top, and books and pretties on the shelves.

I really like it.

• lindac
    14 years ago

It would be a very rare Chippendale desk that didn't have veneer on the bow front drawers on the drop down writing surface and on the fretwork.

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

I'm in the central Atlantic area & 2 showed up on CL yesterday for $400 & $450.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

In the Birmingham area I would say it would go for $325.00 at an antique shop. Although if I wanted it I would pay five. Look at the way new furniture is made today.

.....Jane