Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsmehannaha

Lot of Mid-Century Indian Brass Housewares

ItsMeHannaha
11 years ago

I'm thinking about buying this collection. Do you guys think the price is ok?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lot of Mid-Century Indian Brass Housewares

Comments (9)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Including shipping? about $40? For 5 pieces of 1960's India brass stuff?
    I wouldn't!!
    That sort of stuff is routinely available for lots less at garage sales and Goodwill.

• justlinda
    11 years ago

I have a sneaky feeling that this person was just seeking to advertise their "Etsy" site on here. If they truly were wondering about the pieces they could have just posted the picture, without all the Etsy advertising brou-ha-ha, eh ItsMeHannaha?

I notice lately that there's a lot of advertising and flogging of goods....too bad the way they skirt around the rules.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    11 years ago

I have a sneaky feeling that this person was just seeking to advertise their "Etsy" site on here.
    me too, and in looking at the OP's IP (right click-view page source) and then checking it at IP Location Directory I see she is also in Austin TX.

hmmm...just thinking out loud.

I notice lately that there's a lot of advertising and flogging of goods....too bad the way they skirt around the rules.
    I'm going to ask the Contact Us about it. I wonder if the OP's post will get deleted, or if mine will.

• ItsMeHannaha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the feedback Lindac. As the other posters pointed out, I live in the same city as the seller so I'm hoping that they can waive the shipping cost. I realize that I could probably find them cheaper by going to garage sales or goodwill, but I'd be willing to pay extra to not do the legwork. Out of curiosity, how much would something like this go for at a garage sale?

• lindac
    11 years ago

Brass made at that period in India has some aluminum content...if you compare it to English brass or brass items made in China you will see a color difference.
    The India stuff might sell for a dollar or 2 for the large pieces and half to 1 1/2 dollars for the smaller stuff.
    I'd leave it alone....you can do better.

• ItsMeHannaha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A dollar or two? Ok, I'm going to pass on this.
    Thank you very much for this information.

• karinl
    11 years ago

A dollar or two, each piece at a separate garage sale requiring $4 worth of gas to get from one to another, and 12 garage sales in between where you don't find any, total 3 weeks of Saturdays hunting them down.

I agree the value here is all in the legwork. If you want a set like this, $28 with no shipping charge might be worth it TO YOU. "Value" is a very flexible concept.

Karin L

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    11 years ago

I think it is too ordinary to bother with. These kinds of Indian pieces with the engraving look so mass produced. If you want brass, there are far more interesting pieces out there (like middle eastern, egyptian, or turkish), going for small amounts. I have a sizeable brass collection, but would not pay anything for these.

• ItsMeHannaha
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I actually really like this set, but I'm glad to learn that it isn't worth as much as I originally intended to pay for it. Th e seller seems to be dropping the price by a few dollars each week... I think i'll jump on the deal if i can get them for less than $10.

thanks for all the help!