Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood Bowl w/Sterling Base

Posted by valmont325 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 19:10

On the Base of this wood Bowl Is a Sterling base. On the base itself it reads Crown(Followed by a picture of a crown underneath) then Underneath that it says Sterling.

On the underside of the wood bowl there was a leftover piece of a sticker. All i can make out is Silver and NY.

Anyone give me so info.

What kind of wood? (Has some sap residue still)
Age?
Use?
Maker
And most importantly....VALUE!

I do appreciate it. =)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood Bowl w/Sterling Base

Likely maple and varnished and the varnish is peeling. Age....30 years old? maybe 40?
Value? scrap weight of the silver.

o

well i just did some touch up. Cleaned, lightly sanded, then mineral oil. So the color is showing back up. I think it must have more value then just scrap weight.

o

well i just did some touch up. Cleaned, lightly sanded, then mineral oil. So the color is showing back up. I think it must have more value then just scrap weight.

o

Is the bowl attached to the metal or is it just a generic bowl holder? This doesn't matter one bit--I'm just curious!

o

Estimating the scrap value at between $20 and $25. You really think you can get more?

o

It is attached.
this one is mahogany but same base as mine...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-12-in-Solid-Mahogany-Wood-Bowl-Sterling-Silver-Base-/220718200396?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D867761106018993293%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

o

Your base is different and a little nicer proportioned from what I can tell. How big is it? Salad serving bowl size?

o

The seller has had the above example you posted on eBay since Jan 1/2011, and has yet to sell it. So that tells me it will be a hard sell unless you have somebody in particular who wants it.

o

Asking price and selling price are very different.
Check completed listings on ebay.

o

well, guess ill just have to wait and see. did not pay much at all for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here