Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neat little spoon, but for what purpose?

Posted by justlinda (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 19:00

I found this neat little spoon while out rummaging. Can't figure out what it would be used for (weird shape), or if it is silverplate or stirling, who/what PGB might mean, and tried to check up on the "dagger" that is on the front at the bottom of the handle might mean.

Checked .925-1000 and found examples of Dutch Hallmarks and this is what they say about the dagger: This sword mark was used 1906-1953. From 1953 onward, a similar sword is used, but with standard numerals on the blade (.835 & .925). It also states These sword marks used 1814-1905 as the standard mark on articles too small for the full hallmarking.

Can anyone help straighten me out? It's the instant gratification I love with all the polishing of these silver articles. Sorry if I bore you, but I've gotten sooooo much help over on this board. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neat little spoon, but for what purpose?

Here's the odd shaped bowl.

o

Here's the PBG on the back of the bowl.

o

Here's the "dagger" mark just below the handle on the front of the spoon.

o

The length of the spoon is 4-7/8".

o

Looks like a preserves spoon to me....and yes it's sterling....and by the looks of the sword between 1906 and 1953. And probably the letters are the maker.
neat Spoon! What did you have to give for it?

o

Was at a church rummage sale and they wanted 49 cents for a baggie full of those small collectible-type spoons people get while on vacation and an assortment of silverplated demitasse spoons. There was also a pair of sterling cufflinks in the bag.

So I figure I did pretty good at 49 cents for the whole lot.

o

Yeah....you got your $.49 worth!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here