Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Were these part of a fireplace?

Posted by javaandjazz (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 18:45

Found this pair of andirons(we think) at an estate sale in town today. We think they are egyptian revival style and possibly part of a fireplace. They are quite heavy and the fluted columns are made of wood and the heads are brass. Please don't tell me they are part of an 80's black lacquer bedroom set! LOL! Thanks!

IMG_5484

IMG_5485

IMG_5486

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Were these part of a fireplace?

I' ve never seen andirons made of wood because it's a flammable material. One doesn't put flammable material in a hearth and expect it not to burn. They don't look very old, either.

o

It's probably part of an 80's bedroom set then...oh well. Thought it might have been part of a mantle also.

o

Not andirons....and they don't look like an 80's bedroom set....but whatever they are they are "nice".....I'll bet you can find a use for them....

o

Are those screw holes on the base? Could they be part of some kind of rail? Looks like cross bars of some kind could be screwed into the sides and the base attached to the floor.

o

Wild guess, bed foot board corner posts? Of course those typically aren't screwed into the floor...
Pretty, but puzzling!

o

High end baby gate?

Neat.

o

I love curiosities like that and would have prolly bought them myself to repurpose if the price were right. This is a woman who has almost a full sized replica suit of armor in a bedroom made out of a recycled refidgerator. LOL.

o

We were thinking of getting a square base of marble and mount each of them on that instead of the drilled holed wood. Just display one in my den and one in a living room. They reminded of deco egyptian revival.They were only $30 for the pair, so that wasn't too bad.

o

Wait a minute--is it the bedroom made out of a refrigerator or the suit? :)

Are they the correct height to hang velvet ropes off? I guess they'd have eyes to hook the rope to if they were for that. But they look they they should be in a theater.

o

What fori said. That's what I thought when I first saw them. Perhaps some kind of attachment screwed on the back to hold the ropes. Seems alot more logical than andirons!

o

We were thinking of getting a square base of marble and mount each of them on that instead of the drilled holed wood. Just display one in my den and one in a living room.

That sounds like it would be nice.

After reading fori's idea of a velvet rope post, that sounds most logical so far. Maybe for a museum or special display, permanent blocking of public access if bolted to the floor? Aren't theaters and entry lines, etc. movable, so not bolted down? Or maybe that's just meant as an optional feature...

Wait a minute--is it the bedroom made out of a refrigerator or the suit? :)
LOL, that's the exact reaction I had. :)

o

...what if they have screw holes in the bottom because...they once were screwed onto...square marble bases!?

o

I thought about the velvet rope thing, but, I've never seen one that had 4 ropes and there are 4 places to attach the rope and eyes. Admittedly, I've never seen all the velvet rope barriers in the world. (or even a fraction)

o

Perhaps with metal grill screwed into the holes, used as some sort of room divider.

they are interesting. Love the lions

o

Fori and moonshadow.......LOL I saw that before I hit submit and was too lazy to correct it. No, I don't sleep in an old fridge carcass. The suit of armor is made out of the ice box, and sits in a brick and plaster room.

I also was struck with how suitable velvet ropes would be strung between those posts. If you did, the cat faces would be pointed in opposing directions. If four of these posts were used with them all pointed in opposing directions it would be like the cats were guarding something inside. Makes sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here