Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
info on iron chandelier

Posted by mimimill67 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 18:31

1960's (?) heavy cast chandelier. Neighbor's grandparents brought it up (along with a similar style pot rack light) from Mexico in mid-60's.
Arms stamped "MEXICO"
No marks on caged amber glass shades.

Can anyone share any information they may know this? Thank you for your time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: info on iron chandelier

First of all, it is not cast iron,,it is wrought iron and it is typical of the cheap craft style goods that are imported from Mexico, along with velvet paintings and decorated clay pots.

o

What Pup said is really correct, Mimi. It has very little value now ... maybe $15 at a garage sale.

However, if you got rid of the amber glass and metal webbing, and either replaced them with clear or frosted cylinders or else put in candlestick-looking sockets and painted the metal so it's fresh, it might be a nice-looking fixture. Right now it looks very dated without being "vintage".

Or you could hold onto it for, say, 100 years and the style might come back.

o

Well...it is mexican tourist stuff of perhaps the 60's....but....depending on your house...it could go as is.
Thinking maybe a large southwestern style room....
It would also be cute painted white....and I would certainly keep the amber shades.
I might even think it might bring $20 in a garage sale.

o

I think it's nicer than velvet Elvises by far!

I think it was trendy at the time, and not cheap.

o

They were definitely stylish, often made to order, and not cheap.

The amber glass shades will not come out because they bulge through the mesh. You have to break them to remove them.

o

Actually, I think that someone who decorates in the Gothic style might love this piece!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here