Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mveil1127

Old pottery pitcher found at local thrift store, any clues?

mveil1127
13 years ago

I found this pitcher at a local thrift store. I collect pottery, and think this may be quite old. Any help establishing age and maker would be quite helpful. Thank you!

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

Comments (4)

• mveil1127
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sorry photo links didn't work....lets try this again.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of pitcher

• calliope
    13 years ago

It's a handsome pitcher, and aside from what is probably a pattern number on the bottom, does not appear to be in any way identified to the maker. It doesn't pop out as any pattern I am familiar with from our local potteries.

The only thing I can contribute is a gut feeling and that is it strikes me as being a domestic product, and although the wear apparent on the ground bottom shows it has been used, it doesn't strike me as particularly old. Stoneware pitchers have been a popular product at local potteries up until they pretty much ceased production in the last decade. I can't tell from the picture, is it a full-sized pitcher?

• mveil1127
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, it is a full sized pitcher. It has a significant amount of crazing on the inside, and several tiny air bubbles in the glaze on the outside.

I think you're right about it being domestic, and the fact that it is nearly impossible to identify. I've looked all over the internet, and have found nothing like it.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Supply as much info as you can on your observations, because although the pictures give us a clear idea on its style, it doesn't really on condition or size. Crazing due to age should be pretty apparent over the whole piece, but temperature differentials are a typical cause of crazing on newer products. If the crazing is mostly internal it might indicate very hot or cold liquids were held inside it.

The old pottery industry in the U.S. were located in four or five key states who had appropriate clay deposits for production of stoneware. If you really think this is an older piece, your general area might give you a clue as to what potteries were in operation in those areas and what style ware they made.