Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old pottery pitcher found at local thrift store, any clues?

Posted by mveil1127 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 18:31

I found this pitcher at a local thrift store. I collect pottery, and think this may be quite old. Any help establishing age and maker would be quite helpful. Thank you!
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0492.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old pottery pitcher found at local thrift store, any clues?

sorry photo links didn't work....lets try this again.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of pitcher

o

It's a handsome pitcher, and aside from what is probably a pattern number on the bottom, does not appear to be in any way identified to the maker. It doesn't pop out as any pattern I am familiar with from our local potteries.

The only thing I can contribute is a gut feeling and that is it strikes me as being a domestic product, and although the wear apparent on the ground bottom shows it has been used, it doesn't strike me as particularly old. Stoneware pitchers have been a popular product at local potteries up until they pretty much ceased production in the last decade. I can't tell from the picture, is it a full-sized pitcher?

o

Yes, it is a full sized pitcher. It has a significant amount of crazing on the inside, and several tiny air bubbles in the glaze on the outside.

I think you're right about it being domestic, and the fact that it is nearly impossible to identify. I've looked all over the internet, and have found nothing like it.

o

Supply as much info as you can on your observations, because although the pictures give us a clear idea on its style, it doesn't really on condition or size. Crazing due to age should be pretty apparent over the whole piece, but temperature differentials are a typical cause of crazing on newer products. If the crazing is mostly internal it might indicate very hot or cold liquids were held inside it.

The old pottery industry in the U.S. were located in four or five key states who had appropriate clay deposits for production of stoneware. If you really think this is an older piece, your general area might give you a clue as to what potteries were in operation in those areas and what style ware they made.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here