Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Anyone Know What these Old Kitchen Utensils Are?

Posted by addiesue (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 18:28

Hi! I have three kitchen utensils that I got from a friend. They were her great great great grandmother's who was full-blooded German. She said she remembers them hanging in her grandmother's kitchen forever and being told who they belonged to but doesn't remember ever being told what they were used for. I'm thinking the chain thing might have been some form of a whisk but not sure. And as far as the others go, one looks like a cattle prod but who would have the need to brand the shape of a daisy flower on some poor animals bum? The little dipping spoon thing looks like it has a wooden ladel part but is actually all small guage wire so I'm thinking maybe for tea or something. The most intriquing to me is the chain thing...any ideas?

Addiesue

Here is a link that might be useful: What are these things?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Anyone Know What these Old Kitchen Utensils Are?

So the spoony thing is a strainer of sorts? The others look dangerous. especially that flagellation device. Neat!

o

The upper utensil is a Rosette iron. It is dipped in batter, and then the working end is lowered into hot grease and it makes a wonderful cookie-like dessert. I'm sure more than one country has their own name for this but we just called them Rosette irons.

The second item is a simple tea strainer. I've used these until adulthood when loose leaf tea was no longer mainstream. We steeped the tea in a pot and then poured it through the wire strainer into a tea pot.

The last item is an egg beater

o

The last item is a pot scrubber....a couple of the chains are disconnected from the whole.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: pot scrubber

o

And I think you are right about that. I wasn't sure what that one was and had to google it, and I think that antique dealer guessed at it. LOL.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-kitchen-utensil-egg-beater-whisk-metal-ring

o

You heat the rosette iron in the deep oil, then you dip it in the rather thin batter and put the iron back into the deep fat. The thin cookie floats off the iron when it is done. You drain the cookie on paper towel and sprinkle powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar over it. They have to be eaten right away as they don't taste so good the next day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here