Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying Please!

Posted by 052makie (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 18:02

Does anyone know what this is? It is 41" long by 4.5" wide, made with beads & sequins on velvet. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day!

This post was edited by 052makie on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 3:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying Please!

You might want to google; bell pull kit.

These kits were popular back when people were doing kit needlecraft crafts, maybe the 1970s?

ML

o

Probably a bell pull tapestry - just not finished off with the usual bell pull hardware at the top and bottom. I would hazard it to be intended as a wall hanging though - design style I'm not savvy enough to identify.

o

It's quite probably one of the Victorian beaded things made by some of the Eastern tribes.

They are usually well-beaded, but some are unbelievably gaudy. Sometimes called "Whimsies", usually called "uglies" by collectors.

http://iroquoisbeadwork.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/leslieg542/iroquois-beading/ (especially the one in the upper right ... I have one of those with beaded loop fringe!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Some history od that style beadwork

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here