Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can You tell me about this Chair.

Posted by stacisantiques (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 18:02

I purchased this chair from an estate sale of a house that had pretty much not been opened up in over 90 years. This chair was in it and it is in good shape. A little loose in one joint, but I know that can be tightened. The house was full of empire pieces, chinese paintings on bamboo screens dated back to 17900, etc. I think this is a windsor chair, but don't really know how old or any value to it. Cannot find anything just like it on the internet. Any info is appreciated folks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
re: pics of the chair

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
RE: What can You tell me about this Chair.

From the age of blood-red mahogany finish, ca. 1900.
Not judgmental, I kind of like the blood-red stuff. Just not a house-full of it if you know what I mean.
Casey

o

Ah, I just love an old chair. Very nice!
And sounds like one great sale to be at. :)

o

And likely maple under the stain.
It's a Windsor chair....as Casey said...@ 1900....or a bit later. Splat back not particularly "stylish" as they say of Windsor chairs....not a lot of rake to the legs not large bow to the back.....
But it's still a very handsome chair!

o

Photobucket
I bought this Windsor rocker about 20 years ago from Frederick Duckloe & Bros. I've used it every day since and it is as tight as the day I bought it. Here are some things to look for in an American Windsor:
- legs and half spindles are through mortised and wedged, these are denoted by bits of paper.
- seats are usually one piece of wood
- period chairs are made of several kinds of wood for each part such as spindles, turned pieces, seat, bent pieces etc. they were painted to make them look uniform.
- the more spindles the higher quality of chair.
- the splay of the legs and spindles and the proportions of the chair add to its value.
This rocker is a faithful reproduction and is especially comfortable. I could be a spokesman for Duckloe.
Unfortunately Stacisantiques' chair has one of these features. I would probably describe it as desperately trying to be a Windsor :)

o

sorry, last line should read ... Stacysantiques' chair has none of these features.

o

Sam, your chair is beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here