Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jp731

Help identify old lamp (supposed to be rare)

jp731
9 years ago

period? style? company?

acquired by my cousin's (age 43) great-grandparents between 50-100 years ago.

Comments (10)

• jp731
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo #2

• jp731
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo #3

• jp731
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo #4

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I have no clue, never seen one like it, but it's FABULOUS!!!!!

My initial reaction was ... Art Nouveau torchiere ... the shape and the intricate vining of the base and middle part, the scrolling metal work, and the lacy delicate look of it.

Questions:

1 - Look EVERYWHERE for a stamped, engraved maker's mark or company name. Get a magnifying glass and a good light and look under the base, around the base, inspect every square inch of that thing ... Get the markings off the switch and the bulb socket too.

2 - does a magnet stick to all or some parts of it? It looks like wrought iron ... but if so, that's astounding work. If magnets don't stick, it may be bronze. Check that by making a scratch under the base - bronze will be a brownish metal. Silvery metal is "pot metal" or "spelter".

3 - Any idea where they were living when they acquired this? were they ever in Europe - military or diplomatic service,

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Thinking Art Nouveau, too. The glass is slag glass.

Very beautiful. Wonder if it wasn't a custom piece; a one of...

• jp731
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I appreciate the great replies so far.

I was able to obtain the following additional information:

1. The lamp belonged to a set of two identical lamps that were acquired at the same time somewhere within New York state (between 50-100 years ago).

2. This set of identical lamps is supposed to be unique.

3. At some point the sibling lamps were separated as part of an inheritance. The pictured lamp remains within my cousin's family (nobody knows the whereabouts of the other lamp).

4. Neither the switch nor the bulb socket are original. They were replaced at some point due to malfunction/wear and tear. (I'm afraid there may have been markings on those - if so, we may never find out who the maker is!).

I will have access to the lamp next week. Hope to do the magnet test and determine if it's iron or bronze. Will look once more (third time!) for the maker's mark everywhere possible and hopefully find something.

• calliope
    9 years ago

The maker would not have a signature on the switch or socket. The electricals manufacturer would be marked there, then as now. It's a beautiful piece.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Carefully remove the glass & see if it is marked on edge or near where it fastens to lamp. While it's off look inside to see if metal is marked in there but make sure it is
    unplugged. Might take it outside for best light. Wealthy folks often wanted special order twin lamps to finish a look in a room so they may be from a home like that & ended up with your relatives. Enjoy as it is beautiful!!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Here's why I think you should go over EVERY INCH of that piece.

Look up "Edgar Brandt" ... and any of his style.

the stuff is totally in demand.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1st Dibs

• nattydoll
    9 years ago

The flowers and scrolling, vining parts def look like Art Nouveau, which was during the 1890s-early 20th century. I am also curious if this is direct from the era, or an inspired piece.

Either way, very cool base!