Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erlybrd

need help identifying a crock

erlybrd
10 years ago

I purchased a home recently in town where I live. I plan to use the home as a rental. The neighbors who lived on both sides of the home told me that the gentleman who had lived there prior to dying was an antique collector in his spare time. It's horrific how his family left all his things in this home and left this home in disaster over the past few years. After removing the roof in the rear of the home they left and according to the neighbors put up a tarp and never returned. Naturally the roof leaked and destroyed tons inside the home. I am going through pieces finding whole pieces and will be putting a few up here as i find salvageable pieces. I'm not an antiques person and have no real knowledge of them. I could use some help. I dont want to throw something away that may be rare or have value. Here is a pic of a crock i found in the home.

Comments (11)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Looks like a kim-chi crock ... or other oriental picked vegetable crock.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YG3pt8oyt8g/TrSNt6PXEcI/AAAAAAAAF8U/Lyt7-dWaxUo/s1600/Adam+Field+onggi.jpg

• erlybrd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It definitely looks very similar you are right. Mine looks more basic on the rim. Do you have any idea of the age range?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The design has not changed in centuries ... it could be new or ancient.

• sam_md
    10 years ago

Here's my tiny collection of Redware. It's made from clay which becomes red when fired, like a red brick or flower pot. What color is your crock on the bottom? Is your crock deformed on the side (maybe happened while firing?)
    Early American stoneware is measured in gallons. Foreign stoneware will be measured in liters.

• calliope
    10 years ago

You might see metric markings on newer European crockery, but imagine if you have crocks with any age on them at all, they won't be. England is still sorting out the metric/imperial measures and often display in both on signage still today. So for old items, I'm not so sure you can make that statement.

• erlybrd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

there are no markings on it that i can percieve as being a number either liters or gallons. It looks to be around a 2 gallon i would guess.

• sam_md
    10 years ago

I understand that there are no markings on the crock, there are no markings on any of my redware, I'm not talking about markings. If you measure out 3 gallons of water and it perfectly fills up your crock then you have a 3 gallon crock. If it is an Asian crock it will have a different volume.
    Could I ask erlybrd to tell us is the bottom unglazed? If so, what color is it?

• erlybrd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes it's red much like a brick or flower pot.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Look at the shape of the redware and the shape of the crock in question ... they are not similar. Red clay body pottery can be found all over the world - it's not all "redware" from America.

A kim-chi crock can be anywhere from tiny for a special batch to big enough to pickle an entire cabbage field's harvest. It might accidentally be a measure we use, or it might not.

Unless you can find documented American redware of that shape, with the matching cover, it's best to call it what it most resembles: an Oriental pickling crock of unknown age.

• erlybrd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It very well may be what lazy is saying. I may even be looking at it totally wrong. Notice my lid. It's unfinished on top. However it is finished on the other side. If i put the lid down first like a plate under a flowerpot the entire piece is finished appearence wise. Maybe what i thought was the lid isnt even the lid. Is that possible?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

This picture was taken in the courtyard of a restaurant when I was in Korea.

Their current stock of kimchee is in the pots, and the upside down one has been emptied and washed. (the supplier will take away the empties and drop off the replacements ... it's like an old-style dairy route, but with pickled cabbage)

Notice the strong similarity of the pots to yours, and the saucer-like lids with a rough unglazed side facing upward. The side facing the veggies, and the inside of the crock, is glazed to make cleaning the crocks easier.