Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berrypatch_gw

1950s clock

berrypatch
11 years ago

This is a Howard Miller Electric Leather Clad clock that I know dates to at least 1951 when it was given as a gift to a relative. I haven't been able to find any images of this on the internet. The dial is interesting as there is a "0" at the 5 o'clock position. Happy hour?

Comments (10)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Battery operated?
    My guess is the dial has rotated and the ) should be at the top....but Happy Hour is a good idea!
    Could it be that the works are Miller and another company made the surround?
    Linda C

• berrypatch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It occurred to me too that the dial might have been turned but it is securely glued to the backboard and the Howard Miller Name and address is at the bottom and is right side up. I googled "happy hour clock" and found instances where 5 o'clock is noted as happy hour. There are some dials with 5s at all of the 5 minute marks.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'd suspect it was a retirement clock. I once saw a poster with a picture of a clock, hands stationary at five. IOW "time to leave"

• lazypup
    11 years ago

Howard Miller clock company is still in business

Go to the Yahoo home page and put "Howard Miller Clock Company"in the search bar and you half a dozen listings for the company...I could not find an email address but I found two or three that had both there phone number & mailing address...You might call them and ask and perhaps they could give you an email address to send your photo

• berrypatch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the above suggestions. Yesterday I was able to contact Howard Miller Company via their repair shop and send them some photos. They said the old catalogs they had on file only went back to the '60s and weren't able to give more information about the clock.

I'm told that this clock was given to my grandmother by the ladies auxiliary of the college at which my grandfather was president for 14 years, when he left the college in 1951. It's likely that it was seen as a retirement gift. He did continue working at another college for a few years before fully retiring.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Here are lots of pictures of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Howard Miller clocks

• berrypatch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yayagal,

Have seen many Howard Miller clock photos. Just haven't seen any like mine on the internet.

Berry Patch

• berrypatch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also posted pictures of the clock on a clock collecting forum. Someone pointed out that the figures on the dial were simplistic rendering of some eastern arabic numerals, the "0" being the numeral for "5".

• calliope
    11 years ago

That's interesting, and the fact it lays at the five spot, could substantiate it as opposed to coincidental, or to mean something else. But since all the other numerals are exactly the same, it isn't a simplistic rendering of anything else than that particular numeral.

• berrypatch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The hatch mark type symbols on the clock dial are just similar in style to some of the eastern arabic numeric symbols as is the "o".