Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is the woman the same person in both portraits?

Posted by dwhite1003 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 15:32

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=2405079020/PictureID=83354121020/a=1569035020_1569035020/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=2403120020/PictureID=83209382020/a=1569035020_1569035020/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is the woman the same person in both portraits?

Allowing for the differences between paint and tintypes ... the shape of the eyes, they way the set in her face, is different enough that it's unlikely to be the same person.

Also, although they are both in their early 30s, the fashions are 20+ years apart. The ripped one looks 1930s and the other one is late 1850s.

o

Also, the ear lobes are different, so no, don't think it is the same woman. I do think style of the torn portrait indicates the original was from the early 19th century and the photograph from mid- to late 18th.

o

The hairstyle in picture two is indeed typical for late 1850s. I suspect the lady in the photograph is a lot younger than we'd think. I also agree that the portrait appears to be of a woman at least two decades earlier (by the dress style) but of about the same age.

I just suspect you have a story behind those. The thing about family portraits is that there can be a good deal of resemblance in a family line. I have a portrait of my great-grandmother and it looks so much like my mother the only way it could be proven otherwise is the era of the clothing. Ditto my father's side. I came upon a lady at the family gravesite, introduced myself, told her I didn't know who she was, but I knew she was a cousin. She was.

Good luck.

o

Seems to me I have seen the lady in the picture that isn't torn compared to another picture...
You still trying to figure out who she was? or did you reconcile the first two? and are looking at a third picture?
Linda C

o

There will be some differences because one is a picture, the other a painting. But yes, she appears to be the same person to me. It's the same nose, thin lips, forehead, and deep-set eyes. Even down to the same hairstyle. She is older in the painting. If not the same person, then they are related.

o

As lazygardens points out, the fashions are way different (zofie, the hairstyles are not the same, both styles have a centre parting but in one the ears are covered, in the other they are not). I agree with her that the ripped portrait fashions are more late 1820 to 1830s (I'm sure that was a typo :-) ) and the photograph is more 1850s.
If I was guessing I might wonder if the little girl in the portrait was the young woman in the photograph. Both of their faces are a little broader, with a pointed chin, whereas the woman in the portrait has a thin face with a squarer chin. All three have similar eyes. Is this a possibility?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here