Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious Bronze X

Posted by nonacetone7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 15:06

Hi,
New to the forum, and looking for an answer to a mystery. My mom picked up this strange bronze x at an auction in central Virginia.

My mom is convinced its some kind of cross, but I think since it's not a true cross shape (more of an x) it's probably a rustic pot rest.
There are also some hatch marks on one side that are almost impossible to read. They might just be from banging around with farm implements at the auction house, or it could be roman numerals?

Any help you guys can give would be amazing! We just want to solve this little mystery....

thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious Bronze X

It looks like it could be a very VERY old anchor for a small boat?

o

From a sign - the Bar X ranch or a store sign?
Is there a locale nearby with an X in the name, or a street?

KarinL

o

RE: the bronze cross.

It is a old method of payment, used in mainly central Africa and Saharan Africa.
Beore the advent of eurpopean coins etc, cowries or shells were used, including salt for payments.

It is generally associated in the the American context, with the comming of age of a Nation, and the ugly legacy of the
slave trade across the Atlantic.
You are probably holding a piece of history relating to the slave trade, from the Gold Coast of Africa and into the US.

Probably brough back by a sailor, or slave trader from Africa.
Most certainly, a 19th century artifact. It really belongs in a museum.
On such objects I will not discuss values, as it goes agaist the grain.

Yours etc....DL

o

It might be a "Katanga Cross", which was used for money in the copper-mining regions of the Congo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Katanga Cross

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here