Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psurette_gw

Need assistance identifying an Italian Porcelain Figurine

psurette
13 years ago

I have a rather large Italian porcelain figurine passed on to me by my father when he died several years ago. He always felt it was quite valuable, but I'm not sure that is the case. It has been in our family as long as I've been alive, so it's at least 41 years old...beyond that I'm not certain. It is very Capodimonte-ish, but I don't see anything that leads me to believe it was produced by Capodimonte. There is an artistÂs signature inscribed in the porcelain of "G Cortese". I think there was an artist by that name who produced items for Capodimonte, but again...I see no evidence they have any affiliation with this item.

It depicts Michelangelo sitting in front of The Pieta. It stands about 24"s tall and weighs approximately 30 - 40 lbs. I have original paperwork that came with it, but everything is written in Italian. There is a small plaque imbedded in the porcelain. I can provide pictures as well as the document itself.

My dad was very eccentric, and I've thought for years the ultimate value was the memories of my childhood conjured but it's presence. I am quite confident the monetary value is far less, but after extensive research IÂve come up with nothing. He worked with this type of art for most of his career, and this was one of the items he always held on to.

I appreciate any insight anyone may have!

Thank you in advance.

Pete