Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need assistance identifying an Italian Porcelain Figurine

Posted by psurette (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 14:01

I have a rather large Italian porcelain figurine passed on to me by my father when he died several years ago. He always felt it was quite valuable, but I'm not sure that is the case. It has been in our family as long as I've been alive, so it's at least 41 years old...beyond that I'm not certain. It is very Capodimonte-ish, but I don't see anything that leads me to believe it was produced by Capodimonte. There is an artists signature inscribed in the porcelain of "G Cortese". I think there was an artist by that name who produced items for Capodimonte, but again...I see no evidence they have any affiliation with this item.

It depicts Michelangelo sitting in front of The Pieta. It stands about 24"s tall and weighs approximately 30 - 40 lbs. I have original paperwork that came with it, but everything is written in Italian. There is a small plaque imbedded in the porcelain. I can provide pictures as well as the document itself.

My dad was very eccentric, and I've thought for years the ultimate value was the memories of my childhood conjured but it's presence. I am quite confident the monetary value is far less, but after extensive research Ive come up with nothing. He worked with this type of art for most of his career, and this was one of the items he always held on to.

I appreciate any insight anyone may have!

Thank you in advance.

Pete

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need assistance identifying an Italian Porcelain Figurine

Pictures please...

Here is a link that might be useful: Does it look like this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here