Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wooden train carts

Posted by sunnny (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 13:25

These carts that have heavy beam type wooden tops and 4 steel wheels with a pulley/wheel on the front. I was told by the shop owner they are called train carts but I don't find anything when I search on-line or on here. I'd like to refinish one and use it as a coffee table. Does anyone have information about them or have a photo of one that's been refurbished??

Thanks so much,
Sunny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wooden train carts

Sounds like an old ore cart. I come from coal country and most of the mines back here clean on up to WWII used wooden carts on tracks to pull ore from mines. My g'uncle died from injuries sustained from falling under a mule-drawn wagon in 1935. He was a teamster in the mines. The tracks ran down the shafts, just like a mini-railroad. I've never seen one with a pulley, but it makes sense if you are underground in one of those carts to be able to just crank yourself around off a cable.

Before engines were commonplace those carts were pulled by mules...........dogs......or young boys. Had another great uncle working in the mines at age twelve doing something equally as nasty. Link below to kids playing in 1/2 scale reproduction ore cart.

A picture would have helped, but you can see what I'm talking about and compare it to what you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mining cart

o

Ore carts are like wagons - with sides.

She might have a dynamite cart - a flatbed cart to pile crates of dynamite or tools on. They were also used to pull people.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6RXTIP46tMo/SbWdxIRd1bI/AAAAAAAAAQA/B2cB9DURTWA/s400/Oar+cart.jpg shows the flatbed kind, with some sort of tub on it.

o

Would you be referring to carts used on the platforms of train stations of long ago? A picture would help, or at least a better description.

o

Cleveland art has a bunch of carts--do you see one that sounds close to your description?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleveland Art Carts

o

It would save us all a lot of trouble if the poster would put a pic up. Those train carts were a lot bigger than coffee tables, as were mining carts for that matter. I used to pick up the train mail to take back to the Post Office and they had handles, not pulleys and were pretty danged large.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here