Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valmont325

German Thermos Flask

valmont325
11 years ago

I just recently bought this "Thermos flask" or "Carafe" I have tried to do research and all i came across was this...

http://www.design20.eu/product_info.php/language/en/info/p23_Isolierkanne--Thermolord---Wolfgang-von-Wersin--1956-58-fuer-Erhard---Soehne.html

there are a few diffrences between that and mine. My bottom has 8 holes going around the edge and they dont. Also they have a number 4 as where mine does not.

So any ideas on what i have here?

Comments (15)

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Photo of bottom

• lindac
    11 years ago

Is yours silver plate? Looks like chrome.
    The link says it was made by other companies since 1975....perhaps that's what you have? Does yours have the thermal liner that shows in the German picture? It looks like the one in the link has an extra piece on the bottom that is missing on yours....or never was there. Perhaps there is an additional plastic table protector that snaps into those holes?
    I am grasping at straws here.....but.....
    Linda c

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mine has the same Glass Liner. And i was thinking maybe there was some kind of cover to the base that its missing. I so badly want to know what i have here.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and im not 100% but i think its silver plated.

• justlinda
    11 years ago

This is on eBay, and very similar to one above.

Here is a link that might be useful: German Flask

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Justlinda - i came across that as well, thank you. Still does not give me any info that i dont know. In all honesty i was selling it in a shop for $18.50 but then pulled it because i came across those sites and saw the price was wayyyy up there.

• karinl
    11 years ago

Try the German word Thermoskanne with various company names on a search. I came up with the item below by searching Thermoskanne Wolfgang von Wersin. There seems to be some ring at the bottom of this one. I will keep browsing to see if I find anything else.

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 auction

• karinl
    11 years ago

Good results searching Thermolord, but I don't get the holes on the bottom yet. Must be a soft ring, like a built-in coaster.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermolord

• karinl
    11 years ago

Final searchword: Isolierkanne
    It does seem to be a rubber ring you are missing. Good call on pulling the auction.

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: base is shown - scroll down

• karinl
    11 years ago

Sorry, there was some overlap with what I've given you and what you already had. I don't think the one on Ebay.de sold at that price, may have been relisted. Yours appears to be unusually small, but it does seem to have the genuine logo of the von Wersin product. Keep in mind Germany is known for steel - this doesn't look silver to me. The value appears to be in the design. Anyway, what else do you need to know? The value I suppose. If you run a search for words (as opposed to images) and add something like "zu verkaufen" (meaning "for sale") you may find some craigslist ads or whatever the German equivalent is.

Karin L

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow great info everyone. So it must be a protective cover on the bottom.... and convinced its silver plate. There are numbers on the underside of the handle as well(i saw the others had this as well, everyone is different numbers.) is there a significance of these? I guess the main question is, What should i list for a selling cost if i choose to sell it? This would be my first Huge Find if it turns out to be a substantial amount more then the 18 dollars i was going to sell it for.

• karinl
    11 years ago

It really is a mixed bag. They obviously aren't all Huge Finds, but yours is cool - perhaps a rare size, although missing its ring. I added ".25l" with some of the words I've given you and searched again and came up with a few more auctions, most ended and I can't see the price, but you should keep trying. The one for 33.50 euros did sell; that one for 365 or so did not!
    If you flip through this fellow's feedback, somewhere there should be another one actually sold, it doesn't seem to be on the first page: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=xipper_de&ftab=AllFeedback

Keep hunting; you'll find more that actually sold and at what price. Try french, spanish, etc if you can find the right descriptive words (use online translators); obviously this will have had Europe-wide distribution so could turn up on any country's ebay site.

If you really want to know, you could put it on ebay with a high reserve. But there will be fees.

My guess is if the gold version (in larger) sold for 33.50, that would be a fair price for yours, but professional appraisal or an auction are the only ways you'll find out for sure.

Karin L

Here is a link that might be useful: 33.50 euros

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone, i am trying to find an online appraiser but am looking for one i can talk to in person. I would love to know i did good with this item.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also....... Mine says Pat. Pending. as where alot of others online do not. Does this affect the cost more or less?

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update, I spoke with Replacements.com and they can not find Any info on This item. =( GRRR!