Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is 'Collecting' a Compulsion?

Posted by fouquieria (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 10 at 12:56

I'm retired now, but ever since I was a kid, I've been a collector of some sort. At first it was bugs and butterflies, then stamps and coins. Now it's animalier (carved/cast decorative animals), ashtrays, lamps, and things in the garden...aloes, euphorbias, cycads. If I really sat down and made a list of things I've collected over the years, even I would probably be surprised.

I'll post some of my "collections" later in the week, but in the meantime, what do you collect?

-Ron-

Here is a link that might be useful: My Yard:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is 'Collecting' a Compulsion?

Your yard is amazing - actually, beyond amazing! I'll have to think about what I collect - I'm still stunned from your dazzling gardens.

o

Ron, you have an awesome 'collection' of succulents and the hardscape is gorgeous~looks like you put in a lot of hard work in that god-awful soil! I'm from San Diego, now Austin TX coming up on 2 years. We have clay(Caliche)also, but not near as bad as the 'concrete' in SD. Keep up the great garden work! ;o)

o

I can't believe that all thst stuff is in one yard, but then, maybe you have a big yard. Beautiful gardening and landscaping. Photos are good too. You have more variety than a lot of parks do.

o

Thank you jemdandy, patty_cakes, and antiquesilver for your generous comments.

So as a follow up, here are some of the things I've been collecting over the years--

Here are bronze tigers from the Meiji era on the dinning room table. I also have a lion downstairs. In the upstairs bathroom is a Meiji era carved lion, lioness, & two cubs. Also in the dinning room I have a 6-foot tall carved giraffe and a large carved rhinoceros. The entrance to the front door has two carved elephants and then just inside the house are two more which are four feet tall!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here