Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsutt_gw

Smiley Pig Cold Paint

jsutt
11 years ago

I have an early Shawnee Smiley Pig cold painted cookie jar with the paint showing its 60+ years of wash and wear. I am considering repainting to restore the original look, but have been unable to find out what type of paint was originally used. Does anyone know? Enamel? Lacquer? A proprietary formula? Also, what is the consensus regards restoring painted ceramics (assuming it has been done expertly)? In its current state the value is modest. Would restoration destroy even that? My plan is to use it, not flip it for a high markup.

Comments (8)

• lindac
    11 years ago

I think I would use that paint made to paint on glass. But first I would buy something white and cheap and try it out!!

Here is a link that might be useful: paint

• calliope
    11 years ago

Smiley Pig is very collectable and has a lot of value for a cookie jar. Those in good condition can bring upwards of $400. Whether your repaint would decrease value, I don't know. I have some Shawnee ware, my Mama used to work for Shawnee and I also have our old family Smiley Pig cookie jar, and since it was used through my childhood, it also has paint issues and I'm not touching it, even if his bib is a little worn.

• lindac
    11 years ago

If I remember....it's the Smiley Pigs that are decorated with flowers and things that bring the big bucks.....the plain ones with peeling paint, not so much.
    I have heard it speculated that perhaps some of the Shawnee stuff was sold undecorated and decorated by another firm....that's why some of their stuff has the paint worn off and other things are as good as new.
    Somewhere I have the little kitty cream pitcher that was used daily for quite a few years....known as "the Kitty What Vomits Milk"...LOL! From the mouths of toddlers! And last I saw it's in pristine condition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of Smileys

• calliope
    11 years ago

I suspect you just Googled to come up with that, because that's what some websites say. The ones with the old cold paint are the original and oldest of the Smiley pigs and I've seen some in just that condition go for over two hundred. 'Big Bucks' is subjective. But to me two hundred for a cookie jar is big bucks. No, the degenerating paint is not related to the glazed pigs being done by a different pottery or decorator, even though I imagine a lot of people and perhaps some other sales venues have done their thing on poor Smiley. My Smiley was made and decorated at Shawnee no question about it, probably around the same time my Mama worked on that line, herself. It has the same paint issues. It's typical on Smileys who have been used and loved a lot. I don't buy the speculation Shawnee sent stuff out to be painted by other firms. They may have sold glazed Smileys and somebody took it on themselves to decorate them up, but they certainly had their own decorators and didn't need to outsource cookie jars offsite. Pottery workers were abundant here and skilled. No need to do that and wouldn't have been cost effective to them.

• jsutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I appreciate your helpful responses. My Smiley is a recent acquisition, tho I have been looking for one I could afford for quite a while. He was lost and lonely in the dark corner of an antique mall, described as "Old Pig Cookie Jar". It's his expression I love. (He reminds me how much I like cookies!) Calliope, I think its marvelous your Mama worked for Shawnee. What years was she there? Do you remember how and with what the painters did their magic? I'm still ambivalent about trying to restore him. His age and history are evident and on some levels I would hate to destroy that. Yet ... it would be nice to see him in his glory.

• lindac
    11 years ago

I googled "shawnee smiley pig"....and noticed the difference. The pics with more decoration...like the shamrocks seem to have the paint last better than the ones that just has black feet and a red or blue bib.
    Then I looked on Etsy and ebay and found that the simple ones, particularly with peeling paint were asking $50 to $75....some with no bids.

I say paint him up....it's not like removing original milk paint from a Shaker cupboard. And if you will be happier with a refreshed Smiley....go for it.
    I can't find any of the simply decorated ones with a worn finish going for any more than $65.....can't think refreshing the paint will make much difference.

I know what people are asking...but here's a link to completed auctions....to me the true measure of what things are actually selling ( or not selling!) for.

Here is a link that might be useful: completed sales of piggy

• calliope
    11 years ago

I used to live when I was very little only a few blocks from the old Shawnee plant. In fact, I worked in that building when it was bought out by an auto parts manufacturer many years later. My auntie also worked for Shawnee and I'm not so sure she wasn't a decorator. My Mama did finish work on the greenware before it was fired, a rather delicate task due to its fragile nature. It was a joke about auntie as she was very into fashion and they made her cut her long fingernails so that they didn't damage the greenware. I also worked at a pottery, but I worked at McCoy. Mama worked for several potteries back in the pre WWII era and up until they started to fall on hard times around 1950 and she changed jobs. There were more potteries in our county than any other specific area in the world at that time and my generation is the last one to have the vivid memories of them or have worked in them to any large extent. Most of the natives know their pottery well because they've seen it all their lives.

Here's the thing about objects like Smiley. He is perhaps the most collectable cookie jar out there. His value has plummeted like so many other collectables. But it's like holding a portfolio, values float. Mine was once evaluated at $250, but doubt he'd go for that now. There are a lot of cracked and damaged Smileys out there, and a lot of repros and more than a few misrepresentations on inet sales sights. They don't repro items without value and he's also one of the most reproed jars around. If your Smiley is sound with no chips or cracks, and it's a paint issue only, then proceed with caution before you alter it and pose this question to a serious pottery collector, through a collector's sight or guild. It's not a particularly rare jar.........he's everywhere and most cookie jar collectors have Smiley, and his mate and the salt/peppers who go with him. But, I believe his popularity will only continue and the price will eventually go back up.... and once he's altered you can't go back. It's of course your call, but I'd procede with a little more info than the going rate of Googling on Etsy. As an aside, I really hate the gilted and flowered Smileys and ones with gold trim. The ones with the red and blue scarves are the original introductions and herald the last glory days of pottery production in our area, and it hits me on a personal note and that's one reason I don't want to 'pretty' mine up. My Smiley has a red neckerchief. Blue is the other original design.

• jsutt
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I'm going to wait on a restoration, though I may change my mind if I can ever nail down what the original paint and process was. I have seen fired glaze Smileys and while I appreciate them I too am more charmed by the older, simpler cold paint design of the "farmer" pig. Calliope, it must be very gratifying to see that after all these years the great work that you and your family did is now so valued by so many people. The Zanesville potteries have added a delightful chapter to the American experience, especially appreciated in these days when so little of an enduring nature is being made in the USA. Thank you.