Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christopherdi

ID Some Hand Blown Glassware.

ChristopherDI
12 years ago

Continuing the saga of interesting finds from my Grandfathers loft and thanking the forum for their previous help, I have a vase that looks to be hand blown in a rather nice fantasy style, it also has a signature etched into it.

(Still going through the box of old matchbox cars we found, might post them later.)

Some of the raised edges on the glassware appear to be gold leafed?

Any help would be appreciated!

And the signature

Comments (9)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

That is beautiful! Want to find a new home for it????? Hope someone can ID it for you-it looks kind of art nouveau or 1920s to me (but what do I know-not much). Wish I had found something like that!

• Ideefixe
    12 years ago

I think it's more recent than the 20s. The signature reads to me as "Ion Art" and there's an Ion Artglass company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ion Art

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well...I can tell you a lot of what it's NOT...:)
    My best guess would be a studio art glass piece....
    Would like to see better pictures...looks like the decoration is applied? And I am a bit puzzled....is that signature on the bottom? and if it is I see no pontil mark....or am I just not seeing it?
    How tall is it?
    And it's really lovely!
    Linda C

• lindac
    12 years ago

Good eye Idee!...I was seeing a D or a T....and there is a trade mark for Ion Art glass...Ion Tamaian has been working in glass for a long time....but I can't find out what years he was using that signature.
    It's most surely by him....but where and where? Any how it's a wonderful piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ion Tamaian

• ChristopherDI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well thank you all! Ion Art, cant think how or when they got it, I will run it by my grandmother next time I see her! Ill let you know what I find out.
    Would definitely like to know more, it is a beautiful piece, might however look at selling it (somewhere down the line we plan on starting a family and having this kind of glassware around makes me go cross eyed even now!)
    measuring it it stands 28 cm tall.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Children need to learn not to touch certain things.....get display cabinet. In these times you wouldn't get nearly what it's worth. Besides it's beautiful!

• ChristopherDI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well we haven't got the YET, still have to get married first! and that brings up something else I need to gather some money for.

• calliope
    12 years ago

Blown glass pieces don't always have pontil marks. You don't have pontil marks if a pontil rod was never used. Pontil rods are not used in one step processes where the blowpipe becomes the only handling tool, and bottoms are shaped when the glass is still attached to the pipe by working against a flat surface. In more elaborate pieces requiring additional steps, the pontil rod can be replaced by the snap tool and it is still in use by some glass blowers.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Yeahbut....look at that piece.... does that look like a one step piece?? Not to me...