Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dotz_gw

Hartford Silverplate Brides Basket

dotz_gw
14 years ago

Can any one recommend a good tarnish remover? Found a Hartford silver brides basket and I dont want to use the wrong polish on it. Thanks

Comments (11)

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Wright's silver creme is the best in my useless opinion :^)
    I polish a lot of silver and it works the best for me. If things are really dingy, I put a coat of Wright's on it and let it sit for a little while, then go back and rub gently until it is clean. I use a natural sponge instead of the thin one that comes in the container. What ever you do, after you clean it don't store it in plastic. Pacific cloth or at the least, acid free tissue is your best bet! HTH

• lindac
    14 years ago

Listen to what Jaybird says!
    Also sometimes a really grungy piece has a lot of dirt in addition to the tarnish, and starting out with soap and water makes the polishing easier.
    Linda C

• dotz_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply Jaybird and Lindac, I ran right out and got the Wrights silver polish, I had used another product that did nothing at first try, I left the Wrights on for half an hour, still black. Is it safe to keep using more applications of the polish?Or are some pieces just not salvagable? I m not a silver collector at all, just found this basket that was probably some turn of the century brides wedding gift and rescued it. Hard to believe that some one s family wouldnt want to keep a sentimental piece like this and let it go at a garage sale....

• justlinda
    14 years ago

It is surprising, indeed, dotz what some of the younger generation will sell in a garage sale. Most of them don't know what they have, don't care what they have and most importantly don't have a conscience about selling family heirlooms. My ancestors, including my immediate family, were not rich enough to afford any sort of luxury items so most of my "stuff" I find at garage sales, but even so, my limit for buying silver (including sterling) is $1 an item. A couple of times I even informed the sellers about the value of their items being substantially more than they were asking, but...... "they just wanted to get rid of it, or were tired of polishing it"!

Their loss, my gain because the item didn't belong to my ancestors so re-selling comes a lot easier and I don't have any qualms about "selling the family jewels". But quite a few of the items I have purchased now live in my house because I love them soooo.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Did anyone mention that you have to rub the silver with that little sponge? You don't just put it on the the tarnish melts off.
    There is also the possibility that all the silverplate is worn away.
    Can you post a picture?
    Linda c

• dotz_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lindac, LOL Yes I used the sponge and lots of elbow grease too, Dont know how to post a photo, but DH does, I will ask him to try ...Justlinda,when I go saling, its not in really wealthy areas, mostly estates where I can get things to fit in with my 1920s era decor.It makes me sad to see wedding dresses and photos that you think would be passed on to generations up for grabs..My favorite find ever is what I think is an actual Tiffany lamp. I researched it at the library, the base and finial are Tiffany, but I cant find a photo anywhere of the glass shade..Maybe I ll see if DH will post lamp too. I am curious to see what its worth...

• cchris1957_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Trying to find out the value of these. stamped Hartford...has raised flowers and leaves. Has the number 1131 and 1003 stamped on the bottoms. need help finding out what they are and if worth getting insured.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Don't you think a picture would be helpful? BTW, this is not an appraisal website.

• dotz_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just saw this posting again, cant believe 2 years have gone by and I ve hidden away the blackened silver brides bowl and still havent had the Tiffany lamp authenticated.And do not yet know how to post photos either...And in the past 2 years have picked up so many more amazing mystery treasures!!! I need a life coach!!!!

• Fori
    12 years ago

You don't need a life coach! You need a camera and a Picasa account. We've been patient, but now we need pictures. :)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Yeah!!....what fori said!!