Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique Highboy Dresser value?

Posted by unigeezer (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 11:21

I have an antique Highboy dresser in excellent condition. I was wondering if anyone could take a guess at its value? It's 34" wide, 20" depth and 5 feet tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique Highboy Dresser value?

Photos of inside drawers, sides of drawers, bottom of the outside of the drawers, and inside of chest without the drawers would be helpful. please include side and back view of body of the dresser as well, if you can. Has it been stripped and re finished at some point? It is difficult to tell what kind of wood it is from the photo. On the underside of the body or the back, or on any of the drawers are there any markings? My first impression is that it is not super old, but photos can be very misleading. What do you know of its history?

o

Its value is about what you paid for it. It appears to be oak but it is hard to tell. "Antiques" tend to lose much of their value when they are stripped and made to look like new furniture.

o

unigeezer, compare your maple highboy repro with the one in this antiques roadshow link. Notice how the drawers do not graduate bottom to top like the old ones do. An antique will have a lock for each drawer. Read the commentary of the link and get back with us and tell us what you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Genuine Antique Highboy

o

It's a mid-century reproduction, loosely called "Colonial", not anything special, based on what I see.

Check it carefully for labels, post photos of the construction, please.

As storage, they are nice, but hard to sell because "Colonial" is out of fashion now.

o

Agreeing with others. Looks to be maple, mid-century (20th century) colonial style.

o

Ditto

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here