Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What style would you call this table

Posted by javaandjazz (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 9:00

The dealer advertised this as an 1840 English table. Made from solid mahogany. What is your opinion? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What style would you call this table

It's very, very hard to tell from the photograph and without seeing the underside, but yes, that style is consistent with 1840-1860 "early Victorian." Be aware that this style has been reproduced, so make sure it is genuinely old.

o

If you take the top off, you can see the wood better and there are several holes in the top support which leads me to believe the marble may be a second top, although the marble seems very old. I'll get some more pictures. Thanks!

o

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

o

Well, the internal structure looks right for the age given. And yes, the top is probably a replacement. The shape of the edge looks too simple and modern. The original top was probably wood and suffered damage, so it was replaced at some time with marble. I'm not sure I see the holes you mentioned; where are they on the upper edge? How large are they?

o

I'd go for 1840s-60s mahogany base with replacement top. You can see where the original nails for the old top went.

Or a nicely done reproduction from one of the high-end furniture makers in the 1940s-1960s ... with a modern replacement marble top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here