Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joykay_gw

Drop leaf table

JoyKay
10 years ago

Can anyone help identify this table? Made of dark wood, gabled legs, very sturdy and opens to a large table. I am also wondering what it might be worth.

Comments (10)

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Wow! A ceiling table -- very rare indeed, but only useful at Christmas! ;-)

What you have is a gate-leg table, a form that has been around for hundreds of years, but your table is much more recent. It's really hard to tell without seeing better shots, especially of the wood, the finish, the hardware, and the underpinnings, but I would guess it is from the '30s at the earliest, and more likely the '50s. The top with leaves down is wider than the original form and it looks like it might open to allow leaves to be added. The shaping of the edges where the leaves meet the fixed top is a "modern" detail.

Value depends on your local market more than anything else.

• calliope
    10 years ago

LOL chibimini! JoyKay, I have one just like it upstairs used as a work table in one of my bedrooms, but suspect it may be a smaller version. May I ask dimensions of the top when opened? Mine does not accommodate a leaf and mine is older than fifties, but not a true antique. I'm going to go look at the finish details to see if they match as well.

• daituom
    10 years ago

It`s a cheap, mahogany veneered, gateleg table.From about 1960. Firewood, really.

• Stocky
    10 years ago

daituim , why do you say it's cheap and firewood .

It's a very common design, made of mahogany veneers for the 3 surfaces and poplar for the base .

There's nothing bad or cheap about it and far from firewood .

Don't toss it, keep it if you like it , refinish it if you love it . Beautiful veneers are under that old stain/finish .

enjoy it .

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Those were very popular for a very long time, so it's hard to pin down a date.

Definitely worth cleaning it up and using it.

And definitely not "firewood".

• daituom
    10 years ago

It is a poor imitation of a Pembroke table. Not an antique.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

"not an antique" is a long way from "firewood".

It's sturdy and is cleaned up has a long life in front of it.

• gininmn
    10 years ago

quotes from daituom,
    Mon, Jul 22, 13:
    It`s a cheap, mahogany veneered, gateleg table.From about 1960. Firewood, really.
    & Tues, Jul 23: 13:
    It is a poor imitation of a Pembroke table. Not an antique.

Harsh!

• mrlogo
    10 years ago

this is a modern (mid 1900s) gate leg drop leaf table. - estimate today, vintage retail in Central Virginia, about $200 on the floor and out the door at $125.

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

Where did you obtain the table and was there a cost involved? Can't really tell much from the upside down picture. Does appear the top and drops are veneered.