Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelarenae_gw

Can anyone help me identify this Whieldon Ware?

angelarenae
10 years ago

Hello! I've had this set for years and years (bought it at an auction in 1999) and have never been able to figure out what the heck it is!

Here is what I do know:
Whieldon Ware
F. Winkle & Co.
it says "Clive" beneath the mark
based on mark, made between 1925-1931.

I've never been so stumped, anybody out there who recognizes this??

Comments (12)

• mfrog
    10 years ago

I'm confused, LOL! I don't know what info you're asking for, you seem to know everything about it. Who made it, when it was made & the pattern name. mfrog

• angelarenae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's the information on the mark, it is true...but I can't find ANY references to it online? It's like it doesn't exist. Is it possible that it is that rare?

• angelarenae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, here is a picture of the mark. Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly.... :P

• justlinda
    10 years ago

Do a search on Ebay: f winkle whieldon ware clive

Many pieces come up, although they may be a different color than yours.

• angelarenae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@justlinda - that was the first thing I tried. :) Alas, nothing matches this darned pattern. I have seriously scoured the internet...to no avail. I suppose I'll have to find a professional? If anyone knows of one in the Seattle area, I'd love their contact info!

• triciae
    10 years ago

You reading the mark correctly. You know the manufacturer, their location, the time frame that mark was used, and the name of the pattern. What else is there to know? Is there something specific you're looking for?

There were thousands of dish patterns made in England from, say, 1850-1950. "Clive" is one of those patterns. It was made by one of hundreds of potters...F. Winkle & Co. Here's a link to some brief info on the company. The link even gives you maps and pictures.

I'm stumped on what else you want to know.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: F. Winkle & Co.

• hounds_x_two
    10 years ago

All I can say is, it is very pretty!

• Linderhof1208
    10 years ago

I am confused too. You seem to know everything there is to know about it. It's a pretty pattern -- but of course, I'm charmed by anything blue and white! If you want more pieces, try ebay and be patient!

Martha

• angelarenae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@tricia - thank you for the link!

I guess I thought that I must be missing something, or ignorant of some aspect of identifying old china since nothing shows up for this specific stuff online. It seems that I do have all of the info that I could have. :)

Ultimately, I'm trying to determine how much my set is worth (it's complete, including serving platters and covered bowls...so hopefully it might be worth a little bit?) - trying to pare down as well as make some money for my wedding!

• hounds_x_two
    10 years ago

It is gorgeous! Keep it, use it, enjoy it.

• Colleen1951
    10 years ago

It is a lovely pattern. You might want to try contacting a replacement company like the one below. Send them what you know as well as the pictures.

http://www.replacements.com/identify.htm

• triciae
    10 years ago

Well, "...(it's complete...)" is a relative phrase. They frequently made dozens of different style pieces for these sets. Without an original catalogue you have no idea if your set is "complete", or not. Most likely it isn't. It may be a serviceable set...but complete? Seriously doubt it. :)

/tricia