Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Just hoping to bring a smile or two

lazypup
11 years ago

I normally frequent the "GW Kitchen Table" forum and for about the last two or three months I have been taking photos of this large plush toy from, which I then add captions to create cartoons.

I was looking through the files tonight and though this one is based upon nastalgia and might bring a smile to someone on this forum...If not, I appologize for the intrusion..

The Jan to whom frog is referring is my wife....

Comments (12)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Very cute! I'm going to send it to my kids, all of whom were born in the computer age. I remember once asking my 5-year-old for advice on connecting to AOL.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Love it!!

• calliope
    11 years ago

Soon they'll be asking us old geezers to translate cursive.

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

Once kids get old enough that parents can no longe SPELL things they don't want them to know... all they have to do is change to perfect Palmer Method penmanship. Too bad Q and Z don't come up often, cuz kids would NEVER know what they were!

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

It ain't funny. I started to write some instructions in cursive for a high school freshman of a friend of ours and he could not read it. I had to print it in caps. This came as a shock to me.

These days, I use a mixed bag of fonts and am lazy with format. However, when the occasion calls for it, I can concentate on style and hand write a presentable from. As I age, my writing is not as smooth as it once was- that's a factor of aging and fine motor control. I was taught the Palmer method of cursive and also learned to print in standard lowerand upper case. Later, I learned a very strict font for engineering drawings. I took pride in handwriting, but in the latter part of my career, that became less important. While in college in 1957, I was offered a job by one of my professors due to my printing and dimensioning skills. Today, a student would need to be proficient in a software package such as Pro-E to recieve the same job offer. The scene has changed, but I hope that good penmanship does not go the way of the buggy whip.

• lazypup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry to be the one to have to tell you Jemdandy,,,but good penmanship is already on its way out..

I livein Chicopee, Massachusetts, which is immediately adjacent to Springfield & Holyoke, Mass. Two of the largest cities in the state, and off the top of my head I can list another 15 cities and towns within a 20 mile radius of where I live.

Just yesterday they announced on the news that the Chicopee School district will no longer be teaching cursive writing, because we are the only school within 20 miles to have taught it in the last 5 years.

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

If you don't know cursive, how would you sign anything?

It used to be that not being able to sign one's name was a sign of illiteracy but I guess printing or a computer generated electronic signature is somehow different & acceptable? Sad. Very sad that the 3 'R's most of us learned in early grade school are no longer considered basic education.

• lindac
    11 years ago

I went to college in South Hadley. Lazy, I am sure you know where that is.
    I'll bet I can take notes faster in cursive than anyone can print.

• lazypup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Lindac,,, You have finally fullfilled one of my lifelong dreams..

When I was in the Air Force and stationed at Westover AFB in Chicopee a couple friends and I used to go over to S.Hadley and sit on the patio at the Odysee book store, sipping coffee and hoping, praying, sometimes even pleadig for an opportunity to talk to one of the college girls, but sadly they could see from a distance that we were well below their station in life...LOL

Correct me if I am wrong, but Mt.Holyoke in S.Hadley, Smith College in Amhearst and Vasser in upstate N.Y. are three of the top girls finishing schools in the world.

I don't know this to be a fact, but the last I heard the tuition at Mt.Holyoke is over $50k/semester

Now in regards to cursive..there was a time when I had an elegant hand, but sadly that has been lost over the years. My printing is good, but if you really want to see me print, let me put my earphones on and tune in come CW (morse code) on the radio,,that is how we texted before they invented computers and cell phones..and I still enjoy doing it...LOL

• lindac
    11 years ago

Not "girls finishing schools"....very competitive Ivy League Women's colleges.
    And the tuition and room and board is over $50K per year....not per semester
    Smith is in Northampton....
    I married a fly-boy from Westover. The 2nd Louies hung out at The CI....and I married one. His handwriting was better than mine.

• lazypup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lindac,

Please do not feel offended at my comment about Mt.Holyoke being a girls finishing school. In this area it is regarded as a finishing school in the sense that not only does the school provide a world class Ivy League Education, the school goes above and beyond the academics and teaches the girls how to conduct themselves as true "Ladies of Polite Society", whereas at most campuses today they are lucky if they can even maintain the fundamentals of basic manners.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Those things certainly were not "taught" but acquired through association. I also learned to smoke, drink,swear and play bridge....all by association with ladies of polite society!

Finishing school connotes a place where there are classes in pouring tea properly, writing a proper thank you note and sitting gracefully. I assure you there are no classes like that at Mt Holyoke.