Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justlinda_gw

Possible? (crown & lion passant facing right) or fake

justlinda
11 years ago

I picked up this spoon from a 25-cent box of cutlery today. It only has a Crown, Lion Passant facing right, and the word sterling. No makers name/mark. I've only seen the lion passant facing towards my left, not right!

Real sterling, or faked British hallmark? Maybe that's why it was in the bargain bin, but then again....just sayin' LOL

Comments (9)

• Fori
    11 years ago

Is it Toronto?

(Don't ask me why I have that in my mental dustbin.)

• justlinda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Umm...if you mean where I'm from, well, it's the wet coast of Canada, out in the Pacific Ocean on an island. Vancouver Island to be exact. So far, June hasn't been nice to us, and not sure that Summer will be visiting us this year LOL

• lindac
    11 years ago

It's sterling....I think American.....and from the back it looks like Whiting Louis XV.

• Fori
    11 years ago

No no now I sound creepy! I meant Toronto Silver Co! Lemme look it up and check my memory...

Maybe it's a beaver....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_T.html

• justlinda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Please excuse my ignorance...just didn't know that Toronto Silver Co. existed! I learn something new every day, of course, I probably forget something old every day also.

After checking the Whiting Louis XV pattern I do believe that it's the one.

What made me doubt it's "sterling" authenticity is the fact the lion is facing towards my right.

But thanks all for the help. Y'all know such good stuff!!!

• Fori
    11 years ago

Nobody knows it existed!

Just for kicks I looked it up on replacements which lists very little but has a butter knife that looks awfully similar. And silverplate. I wonder if they were knocking off Whiting and that's why they have a similar mark. Those dastardly Canadians! :)

Total knockoff!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• justlinda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a comparison of the Toronto Silverplate butter spreader white background)and the one I bought (black background). They are slightly different when viewed side-by-side. I think I'll have to research a bit more.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Hehe. I think yours is nicer. Definitely different, but I could see yours being an "inspiration" for the other. Then there's that sterling vs plate business which is somewhat significant.

The 25 cent box huh? Not bad!

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

Toronoto made sterling (or had it made) up until 1915, per Rainwater's "Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers".