Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keitwb

Old Vanity

keitwb
12 years ago

Somebody gave me this old vanity with mirror but I don't have room for it in my apartment so I want to sell it. As the picture shows, it needs refinishing. Also, there are wheels on it. What should I ask for something like this?

{{gwi:1385204}}
{{gwi:1385205}}

Comments (14)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Considering you paid nothing I would not ask more than, say $25. It needs a lot of work!!

• Karen99123
    12 years ago

I lack knowledge about old vanities, but I love it. I have refinished furniture, and it would take some work, but what a beautiful piece when completed. I would pay $25 for it easily.

• calliope
    12 years ago

It does need some work, but it's a handsome little piece and the tilt mirror is nice. What you get out of pieces like that are highly dependent on location. That piece here would fetch you somewhere around $75-$100, as is.

• karinl
    12 years ago

I agree with calliope, I'd go higher. What it needs is all cosmetic, it looks structurally perfect. I'd start at 100 or so, you can always drop the price, but you can't raise it! If you're in a hurry, say you'll take offers and/or start closer to 75.

KarinL

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

It could be my eyes, but it doesn't look like an original married set. And tho there are marks where the mirror sat on the 'vanity', it actually looks more like a desk to me.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I think you may have a good point there.

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

On the top surface at the back of the vanity part I see a shape which matches the profile of the stand the mirror is in, so I think the pieces most likely are meant to go together.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

It looks like a desk to me also, except that the center is recessed. That is the giveaway that it is a dressing table.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Look at the styles, wood & stain as well. Like I said, could be my eyes, but still looks mismatched to me. Love the mirror, tho. ;)

• chiptarheel
    11 years ago

moonshadow needs to make an eye doctors app it is 100% authentic I have one identical to it!!!!!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I have the 'desk, but not the mirror. Looking at the top of mine, there aren't any marks where a mirror would have been, but that still doesn't mean it's a 'desk'. On the flip side, just because there are marks from a mirror doesn't mean it's a 'vanity' either. if the mirror was attached, and sat on the top for years, there would most definitely be marks. It looks as though it was either painted/stained with the mirror left on, which would explain the light/darkness of the paint or stain. Just my 2 cents.

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

My Mom would have called it a "dresser". The center section is just high enough to clear m'lady's knees when seated. There could have been a matching chair or bench made to just the right height to permit a seated person's knees to fit under the center section. Also, the cut-in of the center section allows the user to adjust her position a comfortable distance from the mirror.

I don't know styles, but it says to me that it predates the 1940s. The drawer pulls may help date it. These have the look and feel of 1920 through 1940.

I don't see a mismatch. It appears to be a set. The mirror support and frame finish is opaque hiding the character of the material. I can't tell if it is primary or seconary wood. The dark finish on the dresser may be hiding oak. Look at the edges of the drawer fronts. Are these solid or veneer? If solid, you might also be able to identify the wood. It's a quality piece if the primary wood is solid oak.

• chiptarheel
    11 years ago

againi have one identical to it!call it what ever you want but I find it very hard to believe that two people would have two identical pieces from the top of the mirrow to the wheels on the floor. I took mine to a local antique dealer he said it was a cute little vanity.valued @175 this piece is in Wilson nc.

• chiptarheel
    11 years ago

againi have one identical to it!call it what ever you want but I find it very hard to believe that two people would have two identical pieces from the top of the mirrow to the wheels on the floor. I took mine to a local antique dealer he said it was a cute little vanity.valued @175 this piece is in Wilson nc.