Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeking source for antique closet hardware

Posted by organic_luca (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 22:04

Looking to turn an old armoire into a coat closet but it is not deep enough for coat hangers. I once saw a brilliant piece of hardware on an antique English wardrobe in which the rod hung from back to front and pulled out for easy access to the clothing. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeking source for antique closet hardware

I don't think you will have much trouble finding the hardware....but it won't work for coats....they are too heavy for a rod without support on both ends.
Perhaps a rod with a bracket support from the ceiling of the armoire would work? Or do as the old timers did....hang the coats from big hooks on the back wall of the armoire.

o

You are right about the coats being too heavy ... this particular piece of hardware I saw was also supported to the ceiling of the closet. I have never seen anything like it, but apparently it was common place ... at least that is what the dealer told me. I would use hooks, but i want to hang many coats and alot of the coats are "formal" and need to be on hangers or they will lose their shape. THanks!

o

They used to hang the coats on hangers and hang the hangers on the hook...can't hang too many that way....but some.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here