Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persian Decanter

Posted by capot1948 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 21:23

Found this at an antique store in Burnet, Texas. The lady there said it was from Persia and had gotten it from a man who obtained it while he was stationed there. I also have another much larger decanter and four glasses that have the exact same pattern. I've tried to identify these but have had no luck so far can anyone here assist?

Thanks
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persian Decanter

I don't know about decanters, but you table cover is wonderful.

o

Thanks, I believe my wife bought those at an antique store in Brenham, Tx.

o

Here's the other decanter and 4 glasses that are apparently part of the set. If the photo isn't very good I'll take them out and shoot by themselves.

o

I am wondering about the "Persian" part. Iran is what is left of the former Persia. Iran is a Muslim nation and as I understand, devout Muslims do not imbibe in alcoholic beverages. Could this decanter have had uses other than serving wine, etc.? Maybe it was created for export and trade.

o

That's what we were wondering also. I can find no marks at all anywhere on the pieces. They could very well have been made for export.

o

From what I know, wine was an inherent part of Persian culture for many centuries. The current administration's crackdown on alcohol is a relatively recent phenomenon. It probably depends on when the original owner was posted in Iran.

I knew a couple who worked in Afghanistan way before the Taliban period. Among various exotic stuff, they brought home a wine set - a pitcher and glasses made of bright blue glass with gold trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: NY Times: Wine tradition in Iran

o

Thanks for the link, that was an excellent article. I wish I had an idea what time period these were made however there are no marks on them at all. They are pretty though as the top portion and the scrolls are silver. The scrolls actually stand out from the glass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here