Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone help me identify this old wooden hand carved box?

Posted by ElmoDisaster (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 21:23

I have an old box that I received from my grandparents. I have no idea of its original origins. It has no makers mark and appears to be very old. It was containing old papyrus like papers. The box measures about 20" wide by 15" deep by 5" tall.

It has old hinges. The nails appear to be hand made.

Here is some of the old folded papyrus inside.

Here is one of the designs from the carving at the top. A dragon of some kind.

I thought maybe Thailand or China based on the dragon, but I don't really know how or where to start looking. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone help me identify this old wooden hand carved box?

I doubt that's papyrus--it looks like handmade paper (papyrus is made from the plith of the papyrus plant.) And the box looks like it was made in India. I don't think it's thousands of years old but it's nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: google image for carved Indian box

o

I looked around in those Indian boxes for a while trying to find something similar. Is this even a "type" of box so I could find similar stuff? Like these kinds of boxes were made in the 1920s to hold letters or... something like that.

Are dragons consistent with indian designs? I have some indian pieces, but they seem to have gods or elephants or horseback riders, and the like... Are the designs the best way to place the piece, or should I be trying to identify the type of wood used?

Sorry if I have a lot of questions, I'm just very ignorant of antiques or whatever you would classify a box like this as.

o

Try Balinese carved wooden box.

They have dragons :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here