Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for help with a balance scale

Posted by Stacey007 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 19:45

Hello folks!

Would anyone be able to give me some information about this antique balance scale? There is no makers mark on this item any where. It is a iron/rust & copper balance scale. The other plate is a ceramic/stone. I picked it up for $40 at an estate sale.

I am unsure if it would be best to give it a light cleaning or to restore the copper etc... I have no idea about this item so I would be grateful for any assistance. You can check it out at the link below. Thank you for your help!

http://s1084.photobucket.com/home/staceyw007/index

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for help with a balance scale

Here's the photos for you Stacey!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

The first thing you need to do is stop the progression of the rust.
No weights with it?

o

Thank you for posting the pics. I have yet to figure out how to do that on this site. Were you able to see all 11 photos?

My only plan at this point is to get the rough rust off/top off with a light mineral oil coat. Not sure about the copper except for good 'ole Brasso! lol

No weights but there is a 7lbs mark in the center of the arrow at the top.

o

Unless there is some sort of an historic hall mark or history about the piece....it's just another balance scale......and would be really handsome with the rust removed and the brass polished up!

Here is a link that might be useful: all 11 pics

o

Thank you very much for the information and the encouragement to clean it up. I'll see what I can do and if it turns out ok.. I'll post a follow up! Thank you again for your time and kind assistance. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Best regards-
S

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here