Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmnolen

Can anyone help me ID these?

gmnolen
12 years ago

These plates belonged to my grandmother's family. They are signed M.L. Kline and dated 1886 on the back. I am just curious about their history. I am beginning to find out a lot about my my ancestry and I hope these plates will have an interesting story to tell.

Comments (5)

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Don't know naything about plates, but those are lovely and well decorated. I see no cracks in the glaze.

• Ideefixe
    12 years ago

China painting was a nice hobby for ladies in that era. Could the Kline be the painter? I don't know what sort of story they'd tell--looks like typical sentimental illustration of idealized children.

• lindac
    12 years ago

They could be painted by a hobby decorator. I'd like to see the back stamp....and a closer picture of the actual painting. You say "signed"...how so? Hand written? Stamped?
    The blank....the shape of the plate is not the usual used by china painters of that era.
    They are obviously the same plate with very different sorts of scenes....most likely painted by an artist rather than a commercially available plate.
    Linda C

• gmnolen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will try to get a clear picture of the signature for you. Thank you so much for your help!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Kovel's Dictionary of marks has a Phillip Kline in Carversville, Pennsylvania Circa 1808, he signed with his signature, maybe a relative of ML Kline. That's all I can find.