Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomasward00

Need help ID'ing a Bonheur Du Jour desk

thomasward00
12 years ago

I have just purchased this desk, Can anyone tell the age, style and if it's American made or European.

Link to photo's below

https://picasaweb.google.com/thomasward00/BonheurDuJour?authkey=Gv1sRgCM-m8byt7LSADg

Thanks in advance

Comments (9)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Style is "bonheur du jour"...
    To me looks like late 18th century...perhaps early 19th.
    Very very nice!
    Has a few condition problems...has it ever been repaired? Seems that the gallery rail is very corroded....think I wouldn't hesitate about cleaning that up!
    Have no idea where it was made....if I had to guess I would say France....but that's a pure guess.
    Lovely piece!
    Linda C

• thomasward00
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I purchased this from my local dealer for $525.00 including Tax and delivery to my door.

I'm in the NOLA metro area, my dealer told me that she purchased this desk from an Estate sale Uptown about 10 years ago.

It looks as though it has been repaired over the years, I'm not worried about it's dollar value, I bought it to keep.

Does anyone else have any ideas on the era and if it's American, French or English?

• thomasward00
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone have any additional help as to the age of this piece.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Its a nice piece and I certainly don't think you paid too much but I am confused by the appearance of the blackening all over the underside and inside of the top and parts of the rails. This is sometimes an attempt to artificially age a piece. I wonder if it not only was repaired but somehow may have been something originally slightly different that was refashioned into this piece.

I am no expert by a longshot on bonheur du jours, but this looks English to me, in general.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It's really hard to pin this piece down. The dovetails are hand made. But it's not cohesive. There are a few repairs, and it was badly refinished. The black stain on the underside makes one think 1890-ish. But this style was not in revival just then. Is it even American?
    Maybe someone will see the ribbon inlay and recognize its origins. Maybe it's Danish art-nouveau.
    Casey

• thomasward00
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda C tends to think that it is Hepplewhite style with the ribbons.

Look at the last desk at this link, it has similar inlay style.

http://www.schumannantiques.com/Selections/list_page_1/list_page_1.asp?cat=2

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Not an expert, but I definitely think it looks to be English in style rather than French.

• lindac
    12 years ago

My opinion on the Hepplewhite style was based on the legs.
    It also shows considerable shrinkage in the drawers....I think it's early 19th or late 18th century.
    It sure has had a checkered history and some puzzles...like the gray paint on the underside....those nails and the stain on one drawer but not on another....the different woods in the sides of the different drawers...all a puzzle..and are the brasses original?
    I think it's a very good buy for $550 or whatever....but without the "problems" it would very likely sell for 3 to 4 times what you paid.
    Linda c

• thomasward00
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again Linda,

I purchased this desk for my home, it will be passed down not sold, although by pro standards it isn't perfect, to me it is still a very attractive piece of furniture. I would like to nail down where it was made, like I said before the antique dealer bought it at an estate auction in Uptown NOLA years ago.