Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Antique china cabinet

Posted by sawest21 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 18:25

I am trying to get some information on this China cabinet. My Mom has had it for years and doesn't really remember when she got it. I don't even know where to start looking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG]http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy37/sawest21/IMG_0809.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Antique china cabinet

AAH!! Beautiful, French, Late Victorian probably trimmed with perhaps ormolu or dore?...Gilt over brass or bronze.
Is that fabric on the back inside or paper?
I hope you love it because it's very nice.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: china cabinet

o

It's fabric inside. It's not really my taste, but I've always thought it was special. I tried that link but it didn't take me anywhere. Might be operator error but could you try again?

o

I don't know how big it is, but wouldn't it be for nick-nacks rather than china?

o

Only if the knick-knacks are made of china...;-)
I suppose it would properly be called a curio cupboard.
The one below is sort of like yours on steroids!

Here is a link that might be useful: Curio cabint

o

Linda's first link was just making your photo a clickable link for everyone else, so we don't have to cut and paste.

It is a lovely exemplar of its type, and a nice compact little piece, but it's a kind of tacky style that has never appealed to me either. Kind of Versailles.

They're also making reproductions of this stuff now, so if you can ascertain that it has real age, you probably wouldn't have any trouble getting a dealer interested - or selling it privately.

KarinL

o

Believe me that's not tacky! It's a rather elegant piece....and particularly nice because it's not huge.

o

Thank you for the helpful info, now I have a direction to search in. I had been going in blind before. We are both planning on moving soon so I think we may contact a dealer and see if anyone is interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here