Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery artifact

Posted by tucker_sp (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 18:03

Hello, all! I have never posted on one of the home forums before - I generally stick to the garden and nature forums, but I got a picture from my sister, who said a friend of hers is attempting to identify this thing:

Unknown artifact photo IMG954279_zps3f2923ce.jpg

I don't know how big it is - will try to find out - but she said it is really heavy. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Tucker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery artifact

What is the inscription or insignia saying. I can see it on the upper platform on the little rounded tab.

o

Looks like a setup for slicing. Bread or cheese?
Casey

o

Part of a slicer .... you put a block of cheese or butter on the wires and the missing part is shoved or pulled down and the wires cut the food into nice slices.

The missing part would have pivoted on the round peg

o

Can't imagine forcing bread through static wires - it would need a sawing effect to work. Also wires seem pretty far apart - maybe for butter pats but cheese slices that wide? Perspective could be off tho.

o

I think it's a drying rack for making dipped candles.

Here is a link that might be useful: google image search

o

Awfully short candles.

o

Found this listing on eBay describing it as a butter/cheese slicer. Scroll down for larger picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay listing

o

Thanks a lot for all of the responses! Butter slicer it is!

Tucker

o

That would be great for slicing tofu or mozzarella logs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here