Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justlinda_gw

Silver Marking.....Ever seen one like this?

justlinda
13 years ago

Not sure what language this is, or what the symbols mean. Looks like it could be Indian. Has anybody come across this type of symbol. I have shown them 2 ways, as I'm not sure which way is up...lol

There are no other markings such as EP Brass, or Silverplate, etc. The item is silver colored.

{{gwi:1384884}}

{{gwi:1384885}}

Comments (8)

• justlinda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the item with the unfamiliar markings:

{{gwi:1384886}}
    {{gwi:1384887}}

• lindac
    13 years ago

Hmmmmm.....????
    Where did you get it? How long have you had it? Does it tarnish?
    Anything you know about it or it's origins that could give a clue?
    It sure does look like "solid" something.....and it does look like it could be Indian, or Pakastani or something sort of "Hindu".
    Linda C

• sweeby
    13 years ago

The symbols look vaguely Arabic to me.
    I'll see what I can find...

• sweeby
    13 years ago

After looking around a bit, I'm thinking your piece might be Egyption or Iranian -- somewhere in that part of the world. In either case, this site seems to have some knowledgeable folks and some of the markings appear similar.

Anyway -- I'd suggest posting your pictures and asking over there. And of course, please let us know what the experts conclude!

Here is a link that might be useful: Forum for middle eastern silver

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

I'm looking at Tardy Int'l Hallmarks & this appears to be the hallmarks of Egypt. The thing that looks like a 'q' followed by small diamonds represents a 900 fineness (the books shows only 1 diamond so I don't know the significance of a second one); the marks above it represents the town - perhaps Cairo. The triangular mark should be a lotus, which I believe symbolizes Egypt as the country of origin; prior to 1946 a cat symbol was used so this piece was made within the past 60 years or so. The swirly mark with a dot is shown in the book & appears to be the year of manufacture; Arabic characters were used after 1946.
    HTH

• justlinda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ask and you shall receive. Glad I asked and even more glad that you great folks shared your knowledge.

At least I now have a direction to search. Thanks muchly.

• justlinda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, here's some information I garnered from the silver site mentioned (thanks sweeby). I'm wondering what the 900/1000 silver fineness means. I realize it's not sterling, so does this mean that it's silverplated?

"Yes, itÂs an Egyptian Marking; from left to right:

Assay office mark of Cairo (upper part), and 900 (in Arabic ciphers, read from left to right) = no Sterling fineness.

Lotus-flower = Indication for Egypt, from 1968 on.

Date letter (in Arabic letters) = Actually unknown."

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

900 Fineness means 900/1000 pure silver; sterling is 925/1000 pure silver. Not all countries use the sterling standard. All fineness standards are alloys & a value difference based solely on silver content would be marginal except when the article is being melted. Silverplating is a thin layer of pure silver deposited on a base metal & has virtually no intrinsic value.