Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarrettsr

need help identifying a doll

jarrettsr
11 years ago

can anyone out there help me. my mother had this doll when she was very little. now she is 49. it was a doll she had that her parents took away from her because she would walk around with it everywhere( even in public guess this embarrassed my grandparents. so my mother tells me) for a great gift i was trying to find out what it is maybe get some more information on it, possibly even buy her one if i get so lucky as to find one. please can anyone point me in the right direction

Comments (13)

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

Cute doll!

but a stranger to me...

Look for company names and/or model numbers on the nape of the neck or on the doll's back, either near the nape of the neck or in the middle of the back.

Best luck!

• lindac
    11 years ago

Your mother is now 49......which would make me old enough to be your grandmother....and able to remember a doll like that with adult memories.
    It looks like a store mannequin, the sort of thing that might be used to display children's clothes.
    The face plainly has been influenced by Grace Gebbie Drayton.....which would have been much longer ago than the 1960's.
    Ask your mother more about that doll....

• Fori
    11 years ago

It's going to be a surprise though--he can't just ask her, and she won't remember labels anyway because it was taken away from her when she was small.

Great photo, isn't it?

• maddielee
    11 years ago

I know I have seen that face somewhere?????

I wonder if by chance the doll could have been part of a lifesize Christmas Display?

ML

• antiquesilver
    11 years ago

The face is familiar to me, too, but I'm thinking something in advertising as opposed to a doll.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Grace Gebbie Drayton did all sorts of child figures...including the Campbell Kids, paper dolls etc etc....
    That's why the face looks familiar.

Here is a link that might be useful: G.G. Drayton

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

cupies mom?lol

• teeda
    11 years ago

I'm wondering if that is a carnival prize doll. The face is similar to a kewpie doll. Kewpie dolls were popular carnival prizes. Here's a listing to a carnival doll with a similar face:

Here is a link that might be useful: plush kewpie carnival doll

• teeda
    11 years ago

I'm wondering if that is a carnival prize doll. The face is similar to a kewpie doll. Kewpie dolls were popular carnival prizes. Here's a listing to a carnival doll with a similar face:

• teeda
    11 years ago

• lindac
    11 years ago

Have you sent that picture to various doll collector sites?
    I have a strong feeling that doll was not new to your mother....and someone dealing in all sorts of antique dolls may be able to help.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Doll collector

• jarrettsr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the doll actually had a hamper inside of it. if you unzipped the back of the doll there was a hamper. she dont remember much like i said in the post she no longer owns it her parents took it from her when she was little. i appreciate all the post and would of gotten back to yous earlier but with me going to school didnt have time to check it thank you all very much.

• LasVegasEstateSales
    11 years ago

My mom had a similar doll. I think it could be a carnival doll prize? My mom has a Patty PlayPal, but she does not look like her.