Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valmont325

Any info on this Glass/Crystal?

valmont325
11 years ago

I have looked near and far but can not find any info on these unmarked glasses/crystal. i have 2 sets. 6 have a slightly different pattern then the other 6.

They measure about 3" tall.

Any help?

http://images.craigslist.org/5Eb5Fb5Md3L63I13Hbc5vab271ad149e71af6.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/5N35Hc5J63K33M63Jfc5v5e55eb5457111b55.jpg

Comments (25)

• lindac
    11 years ago

They are pressed glass...likely wine glasses. That sort of pattern dated from about 1900 to about 1940 or so. Wine glass of that day were small and they have a decorative bottom.
    Don't know without searching lots of patterns what the name is.
    Do you own them or are you looking to buy,,,,I see your pictures are from Craig's list.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1384719}}

• calliope
    11 years ago

Those look more like an oyster/fruit cocktail glass to me. More likely to be thicker glass than wine and common until the 40s.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Oyster cocktail glass.....forgot about those things!!

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i am looking to sell. But i do not know anything about them. Reason i thought crystal is because i saw no seam lines, and also they "Sound" like crystal. Like i said, i have 12 but i would have no idea what to ask for. They are all in perfect shape.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

They look a little more like juice glasses to me. I think of the cocktail glasses as more flared than yours, but I am certainly no expert.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I considered that too, but most of the old juice glasses would hold about four ounces, and I'm not so sure these would. The newer oyster/cocktail glasses do indeed seem to be more flared. It's just not an item one uses all that much, or for many.......ever.....LOL. The oyster glass rang my bells because I am a shrimp eater, and remember seeing similar shaped glasses years ago for those horrible little on the shelf shrimp cocktails.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's like a challenge to me now to find out what these are. I was told that they can not and will not be found online. My boss has told me this. I must prove him wrong!

Look at the 4th photo here. That matches the bottom of my glass and the sides of the base exactly. Does this mean anything? Is it possibly by the same maker?

Here is a link that might be useful: Click for photo

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Doubt it. The shape is a classic one as is the pattern. I have dozens of pieces collected by my late mother with very similar patterns.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grrrrrrrr!lol So if i cant find info on them. If any of you had these 12 glasses, what would you list them for? What type of price?

• lindac
    11 years ago

First of all determine if they are cut or pressed....more likely pres-cut...meaning that part of the pattern was pressed and finished with some cut embellishments.
    Do they ring with a sustained tone when you flick them with a pencil?
    I have been collecting EAPG for more than 40 years and never seen nor heard of an oyster cocktail glass in a set for home use. In fact, growing up on the East coast....never saw any oyster cocktail....but for on the half shell....and even after coming to the midwest have only rarely seen oysters from those frozen tube served raw.

I really really believe they are wine glasses from the early 1940's. Wine glasses of that era and before were small....holding only about 3 oz of wine.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well they ring with a high pitch when flicked. As where if you hit a normal drinking glass it sort of "Thunks". Is there a way to tell if it is pressed?

• lindac
    11 years ago

Is the ring sustained...or just a ping?
    The rim from your pics doesn't look cut....Cut glass is sharp. Go to an antique shop and ask to see a "brilliant period cut glass"...something. The edges of the star bursts etc should feel sharp....like they have been cut.
    I have never seen a piece of cut glass with a plain smooth rim like the glass you pictured.
    EAPG of that period would not have been lead glass.
    Any thoughts that they are not American? Where did you get them?

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ring is hard to explain but deff not the sound of a normal glass. The Rim itself is smooth. The rest of the glass i can feel it..its not smooth but its not sharp.

No idea if they would be american or not. I recently bought from a yard sale. I attached to a new photo , better quality and showing size. You can even enlarge the photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1384720}}

• calliope
    11 years ago

Firstly......nobody said these glasses had to be from a set somebody kept in their home. I have a lovely set of heavy stoneware plates but they were originally designed and sold to restaurants. The family came upon them because they owned the slaughterhouse who provided the meat. I've seen similar glasses advertised as oyster/cocktail but the more I look at them the more I believe them to be cordial or liquer glasses. I really think alcohol served in a glass that tiny would have more of a kick than wine. Bought a lovely set of cordial glass at an antique shop in the UK the last time over. Just about that size, but more delicate.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Here is a liquer/cordial glass from one of my English sets. The OP's picture indicates his glass is less than three inches high. Well, mine is a tad taller than three inches, and you can see how large that is in relation to my hand. No way is this a wine glass.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good point Calliope. If you dont mind me asking, what do you think i could get for my set of 12? Just based upon what you payed for yours and what u see in my photo.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I purchased two sets of cordial glasses in that little buying spree, and I can't remember what I paid for them, but certainly less than a dollar a glass converted to American currency. I just needed them to serve a particular apricot liquer I save for after dinner use at special meals. A glass that size only holds about half an ounce. The fact you have a dozen in the set is a plus, I'm sure. I wish I could help you with price point, but really don't want to lead you astray. I have no idea, and especially so since I'm not sure of their age or composition.

• lindac
    11 years ago

To Valmont, Measure how much those glasses hold, please?

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago
  • calliope
    11 years ago

Well, good for getting an idea of what one seller considers a respectable asking price. You may want to follow the auction to see what it actually sells for. Don't get too excited about the description. Goblet isn't even spelt correctly, and nowhere in the timeframe these glasses were produced was anything called a mini-gobblet (sic) Sometimes tiny glasses were called shots, even if used for cordials. It's not an incorrect nomenclature. I presume it's press cut, but would have to actually finger it and see it in person to know for sure. Not even guessing manufacture date on this one but it's being very kind to even call it EAPG.

• justlinda
    11 years ago

Looks like they tried to cover all bases with the title!

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol i was thinking the same thing. I have an email out to that guy to see if he can tell me where he bought them from and any other info.

Btw i added liquid and it is 1 fluid ounce.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Not surprising considering its size. It also has all the characteristics a wine glass should not have. Thick glass, wrong shape.

• valmont325
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Would it be possible that it is Flint Glass? It has that Crystal "Ping" when i tap it.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Oone oz capacity makes them cordial glasses for sure.
    Flint glass, lead crystal....all the same.
    It's the lead that makes them "ping" and makes them sparkly and clear.
    And for some reason, that press-cut is included in the EAPG ids...
    The latest pictures sure make them look like they are cut...
    There was a time when the short stems were popular. See the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: short stemmed cordials