Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harper_gw

1950s O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove

harper
17 years ago

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I searched and came up empty, but I'll toss it out there anyway.

We're getting ready to remodel the kitchen and I'm hoping to sell my 1950s O'Keefe & Merritt. The exterior looks great. Three of the 4 burners work, as well as the griddle. The oven and broiler beneath it work, but the Grillevator does not.

Any idea how much I should ask for it?

{{gwi:1384657}}

TIA,

Harper

Comments (25)

• centralcacyclist
    17 years ago

Here is an ebay lising for a very similar one minus the glass door. You can watch the bidding. Sorry I am HTML ignorant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1953-OKeefe-Merritt-Stove-Model-605_W0QQitemZ7626192351QQihZ017QQcategoryZ71250QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You might get a ball park email answer from these folks:

http://www.buckeyeappliance.com

Here is a recent one from Craig's List in Denver:

Vintage O'Keefe & Merritt 50's Stove - $1800
    Reply to: sale-166374780@craigslist.org
    Date: 2006-05-30, 10:50PM MDT

All original vintage O'Keefe and Merritt stove. I think it is a 1954 model, but not sure of the year. It was the top of the line in its day. White enamel with all stainless, or chrome, top. Four burners with center griddle. It has the "Grillevator" which is a adjustable grill/oven. It has oven and warmer as well as pan storage. It has a timer, light and outlet on top back. We used this stove for several years in our previous home. We liked it so much, we decided to keep it in case we bought another older home where we could use it. However, we bought a newer home with built-in stove so cannot use it. Call 303-467-7748 in the evenings or David at 303-905-1583. Or Jane at 303-905-2823.

• bikeman
    17 years ago

Free or $4000? Anecdote to help: I put our Crown 6 burner, double oven range on Craigslist for free and got a few calls and no shows. Then I Googled it and found the IDENTICAL stove on ebay for 3995 (totally refurbished).

I had no idea of the interest out there for these vintage stoves. I was told small restaurants like them for show and use. Market it to them.

The price depends on how long you are willing to spend selling it and how extensively you advertise it.

We are considering repainting ours. Any advice?

• Miss EFF
    17 years ago

I had a refrigerator painted once by an autobody shop. They did a great job. There are also several firms that specialize in restoration of vintage stoves.

Often -- the stoves are "beasts" -- heavy to move. But they cook like a dream. (But no self-cleaning oven!!) I would love to own a Chambers.

Keep marketing it --- you can find the right person that wants to own it. It just may take some time.

Cathy

• harper
    Original Author
    17 years ago

barnmom, too bad buckeyeappliance.com charges $75 for an estimate. Found another site that does it for $40, but I don't have the luxury of a lot of time. I need to get rid of it within the next 2 months, maybe sooner.

bikeman, it probably would be worth $4K totally refurbished. About 7 or 8 years ago I checked with a local shop that restores old stoves and was quoted $2K to re-plumb and re-chrome.

Cathy, asked my GC yesterday if he knew of anyone who might be interested and I'm putting an ad in the paper next week. Just wish I knew how much to ask for it.

Harper

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Appliances

• centralcacyclist
    17 years ago

Here is one a few years older, completely stored, selling for $8900.

Assuming it is worth $4000 restored and it would take $2000 to fix. Then a price of $1000-1500 might be a fair amount to ask. $500-800 if you really want to unload it quickly. That would be my guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: O'K&M Stove for sale

• harper
    Original Author
    17 years ago

barnmom, thanks for the help! I love that window (must be mirrored) to see into the oven. How clever.

Maybe I'll shoot for $1,500 or best offer. And I guess I better do some cleaning under the hood first. LOL

Harper

• lazy_gardens
    17 years ago

The kicker is that the restoration is not cheap. I asked a local dealer what is involved when I took an old gas dinosaur in for trade.

All chrome parts re-chromed
    All enameled re-enameled
    All oven racks re-finished (I think they are nickel)
    All insulation replaced with modern
    All gas piping and burners replaced with new to comply with modern code
    Ignition replaced to comply with modern code
    All missing parts replaced from other stoves

I swapped him one old gas K&M stove for almost new appliances ... enough for the kitchens in a triplex and a couple of houses.

• lisa77429
    17 years ago

I don't know where you are but there is a lady in Houston that does nothing but collect, refurbish and sell vintage stoves. Google Macy's Stoveworks. I met her many many years ago and apparently she is still at it. Good luck

• quiltglo
    17 years ago

Yours looks to be in great shape. Getting the burner to work shouldn't be that difficult. I don't see that it needs restoration, just some repair.

I bought one slightly newer than yours. Nothing needed for code. Our local gas co. put a new rigid line in it for me and hooked it up. I will send part out to get refurbished as time allows.

I paid $250 for it on eBay. But the kicker is, I then paid $1399 to have the thing shipped from California to Alaska. You couldn't talk me into some stove like everyone else has.

Gloria

• cathie54
    17 years ago

Funny, a couple weeks back I was looking at these stoves on ebay, and I fell in love with them! Mom had one when we were growing up. I believe it was O'K $ M. I remember having to clean out those trays that caught all the crumbs and grease.

I came across the Chambers also. Neve had seen one of those, but they look ...PRETTY NICE...LOL! It seems to have everything but the deep fryer?

Has anyone used both a Chambers AND an O'K & M? (approx '50's era models?) If so, which do you think is best b-twn the two?
    If not, if anyone has used a Chambers - tell me what is great about them pls. I also noticed there is a simmer or soup or ? device on it. Do you need special pots for that? Can they still be found anywhere?

Hubby asked me why I was looking at stoves? I said, "I just like to look - it's fun looking at all these old antique appliances!" (In the mean time, son is measuring our space where our current stove is now - lol! He loves to cook also, and loves the old stoves too!)

These things a huge! I'd have to rip out part of my kitchen to fit one in - like we really have $$ to do that.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Possibly you could talk to a local Antique Mall, show them your pic, and see if they might be interested in selling it on consignment for you. They would get a commission of course, but would also try to get you a fair and decent price.

Just a thought.

btw...I love it! Are you sure you really want to part with it, or do the remodel around it? It's a fabulous piece, I'd be proud to have.

Sue

• stephaniem3
    17 years ago

We just got a 1950's Chambers stove. It was a beast to move (weighs about 350 lbs), but it's great. I haven't attempted to use the giddle but the oven and thermowell (deep well in place of one of the burners) works great. You can actually use the Thermowell as a second oven, deep fryer, soup well, etc, if you have the right accessories.
    We paidd $250, but we are in New Orleans and the market is not as good lately. We looked at 2 in worse shape before the storm. The sellers were asking $500 and $700.

• clawrence1959
    17 years ago

Harper,
    I live in the Austin Texas area and I am on my way to look at a stove that is just like yours without the glass front. I don't think it is in quite the shape yours is as it has been in a garage for two years. The seller is asking $600.00. I will be willing to pay that if it appears to be in relatively good shape (no rust) as my husband can do most of the refurbishment needed and I am buying it for a 1936 era house. It was posted on Craig's list, which is free and many times you can find someone locally who is interested so shipping is not an issue. It was posted in collectibles, but came up when I did a search for "gas stove". Good luck!

• chamb1
    16 years ago

I have one of these stoves and I need to replace one of the springs that hold the oven door closed. For the life of me, i cannot figure out how to access the spring. If anyone could give me a clue, i would be most appreciative!

thanks in advance!

chamb1@gmail.com

• pattie196054
    14 years ago

I have an Okeefe stove its in the 50's and I am thinking of selling it. It is in working order and it has 4 burners and a griddle but it does not have the glass in the door. If you would like to email me about it being for sale, my email address is psa195460@yahoo.com I can send pictures if you want to see it. thanks Pattie

• jcloft_sbcglobal_net
    14 years ago

I have a 1950's or so O'Keefe and Merritt stove. I only use 1 burner, a second may work, but I mostly eat raw foods. It may be a "Grillevator", but no timer or clock. I would like to sale it, $600obo. My email address is jcloft@sbcglobal.net

• pattie196054
    14 years ago

Hi all, I haven't been on here for a while because I have been sick and am in the process of tring to get my disability. Because of this I have not been able to work in 9 months. So I am going to have to try and sell my 50's O'keefe and Merritt stove, This Baby is in excellent condition and everything works great on it. It is perfect on the outside and a good cleaning on the inside will be really all it needs. If anyone knows of anyone that may be interested in this beauty, please wmail me at psa195460@yahoo.com
    I really need to sell this because of my medical problems and I would like to get at least 2000.00 for it. It sounds like a lot of money for this to me too, but as I said it is a beauty and works great. thanks so much

• yancey_angela_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Hello. I have a working Okeefe and Merritt stove thatis in good condition. The year it was made ranges from 1930 to 1940. I am located in Dallas Texas. If anyone is interested in purchasing please let me know. I can send pics upon request. Thanks! yancey_angela@yahoo.com

• rick_wagner_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

Does anyone know if when re-doing the gas piping and burners if the stove can be converted to an electric ignition source instead of leaving the gas pilot for lighting. Someone mentioned above about bringing the ignition system up to code. This would be great if possible so I wouldn't be wasting gas.

• vincecefalu_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I need to replace my 8 1/2 inch round drip pans. I would like to have black non-stick ones this time. I cannot find replacement ones that look like ours. It has to have the small hole on the outside edge so the top burner can fit onto it. Any idea?

• joemass_pacbell_net
    12 years ago

I have an Okeefe and Merritt stove for sale. White, model 505, 1952-54. Chrome cooktop, oven window, clock and timer, oven grillevator, broiler and storage. Clean and in good working order. Original cook book and Operating Manual. Located in Los Angeles. $1000.00

• manuelchavez10
    12 years ago

IF ANYBODY INTERESTED IN A 1950s O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove PLEAS CALL ME 707-688-7317 OR EMAIL ME AT MANUELPRECIADO@YAHOO.COM ASKING 700$ REALLY GREAT COND LIVE IN FAIRFIELD C.A 40 MIN FROM SACRAMENTO OR SANFRANCISCO

• cinaphoto_mac_com
    12 years ago

I am looking for some parts for my O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove. all I need is the griddle thermometer. Does anyone know where to find these type of parts?