Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbaok

POP bottle Nu IcU

barbaok
20 years ago

I dug up an old pop bottle. It has the name Nu Icu On the side at the very bottom of the bottle it says Pittsburg Kans. Is it worth anything?

Barb

Comments (9)

• shore72
    20 years ago

Never heard of that name, maybe a local bottler? Would probably be worth most around that town, maybe $5-10 in good shape? Some rare local bottles in my area can sell for $20 or more (sometimes much more) you just have to find the few serious collectors.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    20 years ago

Barb, don't know if it would work, or not, but my first thought was how about calling the Chamber of Commerce in Pittsburgh, KS? Maybe they have a date when the bottler was in operation or a name of an owner, or something. Just a thought... Have you found out anything on it yet?

• horsemom07
    16 years ago

I know this is kind of late, but NU ICU appears to have been a National bottler. Bottles distributed from
    RHW - Moberly, MO
    So Brewer ME
    Whistle Company Salisbury MD
    Wilmington, DE
    Indianapolis, IN
    Austin, TX
    Effingham, IL
    as well as Pittsburg, KS

• toohigpa_comcast_net
    13 years ago

This is really, really late. But I found a Nu Icu bottle in Franklin Co., VA (Smith Mountain Lake) in the 80's. The bottle includes the text that the bottle design was patented March 9, 1920

• kathollar_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have also found one today (3-18-11) in Taylorsville, NC.
    Looks like these might have been a lot of places. Mine says, Flavor you can't forget. Same patent as the others.

• neeno19632000_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My husband found a bottle the other day(5-24-11) with Nu Icu on it. I was wondering if anybody had anymore info about it and what it might be worth. We are in Stony Point, NC.

• cjsimplot59
    9 years ago

I have a bottle in excellent condition that was made in either Janesville or Madison, WI March 9, 1920. Both cities were on the bottle.

• winnpeeples
    8 years ago

I just found one (8/18/15) in Tallahassee, Florida. Same patent date of March 9 1920. Underneat that though it's says "CHATT 28". Wonder if that means it was bottled in 1928???

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

At one time, the Coca Cola Company made bottles with the name of the city of the local bottling plant on the bottom of the bottles. This practice existed during my high school days (1950 - 1954) Some of us tried to collect as many different city names as we could. Our main interest at the time was to see who could score a bottle from the most distant town. At that period, bottles did travel some distance because those were collected, washed and re-used.

In the interest of cost reduction, Coca Cola discontinued that practice some time after 1954. I have a hunch that Coke bottles with a city name on its bottom would be worth more than the common, no name variety.